Alu MacBook rockin' a squeaky hinge

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JHatch, Dec 10, 2008.

1. JHatch macrumors newbie

JHatch

Longtime lurker, first time poster:

Anyways, I've got an issue with my Aluminum MacBook and I'm looking for advice on what I should do.

I got the Alu MacBook on release-day and really dug it. It has the janked F-keys and some minor dust behind the display. Other than that, it was perfect. I didn't really care to bother with the hassle over something so minor. For better or worse, not my style to sweat the small.

2 months (has it really been that long?) into it my MacBook has an odd new tick. The hing makes the oddest of noises. I don't know how to describe it other than a light groan. A creeking, maybe. It just kind of started out of the blue. My MacBook spends it's life on my desk at the moment, So I know it wasn't because of abuse or someone else pushing the screen back too far.

While this may sound minor (like the slanted keys)... I'm worried it could develop into something much more heinous over time.

What I'm wondering is, is this something I should worry about? Should I make an appointment at the Apple Store? Is there anything that they could/would do?

This may sound petty and miniscule... but I really try to keep my laptops in "like new" condition, and this creak takes some of the sexiness away from my notebook.

Thanks MR.

2. miniovechkin8 macrumors newbie

i wouldnt take the risk of it breaking if you had just left it alone. dont leave that stuff ignored, especially a broken hinge. bring it in and have them take a look at it and see what they could do. dont risk it

3. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Bring it to a apple retailer store and have them look at it...

4. Surely Guest

Surely

Absolutely. Get them to fix the keys and the screen while they're at it.

5. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

actually i didnt think it was worth posting. but i have the same problem as you, it does it when you open and lose the screen?

6. brikeh macrumors 6502a

brikeh

7. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Please let us know if you (OP) ever get in touch with Apple about the hinge. I don't have the squeak, but I am curious as to whether they can 'adjust' the hinge.

I had an MB-Air before and, like many, its hinge is getting very loose. But someone on this forum reported that Apple cannot and will not do anything about that hinge in term of adjustment. So I want to know what they'd say about the Al-MB.

I noticed my hinge was very tight when new, but now loosened up. No where problematic at this point, but who knows in a year or two.

8. bigdb11 macrumors regular

My pro does this when i first push the lid down. Literally for the 1 second i first push on the lid but it is bothering me and im thinking of exchanging since im still within the 14 days.