Alu Macbook stuck in endless restart loop

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by writerevie, Dec 11, 2008.

1. writerevie macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, new here.

Recent owner of a 2.0 Alu Macbook. Had it for about two weeks with no problems whatsoever--until today.

I usually have the computer sleep, but I shut it down today, and when I tried to restart, the laptop gets to the gray screen with the Apple logo and the spinning wheel (the gray one, not the rainbow pinwheel).

After about two minutes, the computer shuts down and reboots again on its own.

I've tried resetting the PRAM, tried booting up in Safe Mode (no go), and also tried the fcsk command thingy. All to no avail.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

did you try booting from the leopard disk? Sounds like it died take it to apple to have it replaced

3. writerevie thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I haven't done a reboot from the install disk yet. I suppose I'll have to try that when I get home. I really hope this hasn't died.....

4. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Well usually putting sleep mode on your new MB is only if your not using for a short period....so yeah. If your not using it like when you go to sleep..My best advice is to shut it down...

5. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I have owned 3 Macbook's and I never shut them down except for updates or when I have to use Vista on Bootcamp. I have never had a problem and I heard it was better to just let it sleep unless you are gone for days without using it. As I said I have never had a problem with it over the years.

6. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Well it really depend..to me I wouldn't take that risk and that's only what think and I'm sure many people don't put their MB to sleep at all... I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion(s) and I'm just expressing mine that's all :)

7. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I never implied you weren't entitled to your opinion. I just stated mine. I heard that shutting it down all the time can hurt it over the long haul. To each their own.

8. writerevie thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting...my old iBook G4, I've probably shut down and restarted a total of 20 times over more than two years, and it's still chugging along. I've always preferred sleep mode over shut down and restart, but who knows? Like hogfaninga said, to each his (or her) own... =-)

Anywho, figured out the problem. The endless restart loop is due to my messing around with permissions and such and then shutting down the computer. Seems to be a common problem, just required a LOT of Googling to figure out what the fix is.

Just have to restart later with the Install disk and repair permissions, and everything should be fine.