alu macbook trackpad all messed up

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by chelsea smile, Apr 17, 2009.

1. chelsea smile macrumors newbie

i bought my alu macbook the day it came out and didnt have a single problem until maybe 2 weeks ago when the trackpad got all messed up. i didnt do anything, it just happend. i have been using just a USB mouse because i havent had time to fix it. but what happends is, when ever i just put my finger on it, not even click down, it will register as a click. and then when i move it, it will look like im selecting everything, like highlighting it. this is very frustrating because i have NO clue how to fix it. all of its updates are up to date too.

please give me some help.

and if someone suggests re-installing leopard, when i do that would that delete everything on my hard drive? cause thats why i haven't tried it.

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Have you tried making a new account and seeing if the problem is there as well? You may have installed something that messed up the trackpad.

3. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

It sounds like you were messing with the preferences in System Preferences. Disable tab to click, as it sounds like you don't want that feature. :)

Click on the Apple in the top left hand corner, select System Preferences, and finally, Trackpad.

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

if it does come down to reinstalling leopard, you won't lose any of your info if you select "archive and install"

5. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

Same thing happened to me when water got into my track pad. Condensation maybe?

6. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

7. chelsea smile thread starter macrumors newbie

No I didn't get water on it and I didn't mess with the system prefences. I now want to know if I bring it to my apple store, would they delete my hard drive, or would they save everything for me before fixing it. My main concern is losing all of my files in logic expess 8, because I have litterly hundreds of songs I'm working on it. And thanks a bunch for all the replies you guys are very helpful

8. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

They won't delete your hard drive, they'll either find a way to sort it without reformatting, or they'll back it up for you. Just ask beforehand and make sure you can back up your hard drive.

9. acurafan macrumors 6502a

this is why you need to backup. get a usb drive, and run time machine/superduper, seriously.

10. chelsea smile thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I know but I'm 15 and it took me forever to save up for a nice mac, so why pump more money into somthing I wasted six months saving up for.to me it should be flawless but I know it's impossible to get something worth your money.but since I am stuck buying an external hard drive, any one know where I can get one with only like five or ten gigs? I don't need anymore space.thanks again for replied

11. beth97 macrumors newbie

They have a 8 gig at apple store for a 29.99 or 250 gig for 89.99

12. chelsea smile thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright thanks a bunch