Alu MacBook youtube stuttering?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Trexznl, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Trexznl macrumors member

Hello guys (and gals ;)),

I've got my MacBook for.. what.. like two-three months now, it's the late '08 unibody alu model. And when trying to watch a youtube video in fullscreen mode, the video will stutter really, and I mean really, bad. The video is just unviewable because it will have a frame rate like 2-5-ish FPS. I think it's done this for as long as I've got it, but I haven't really bothered with it. And now I want to view some more youtube videos in fullscreen, and I'm really annoyed with it. Is this just the 9400M being not good enough to play a low-res youtube video on my small 13.3" screen? :(

Also, my parents iMac (newest, early '09, with 9400M) has got the same problem, however I took that one for granted because of the enormous screen.

Anyone got suggestions? I'm really bummed out.. they aren't that cheap and I reckon you should at least be able to watch a fullscreen youtube video with it :eek:

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

3. bchreng macrumors 65816

bchreng

I've learned that the lower end macs have horrible performance when it comes to flash apps. Youtube, I think, is one of them. I haven't tried watching a video in fullscreen mode with my macbook, but I'll check it out later and report my findings. As bad as it is with flash, I don't think it's supposed to be as slow as what you're reporting. Something might be wrong.

4. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

Full screen HD youtube vid on my 2.0ghz unimacbook is perfect yours is messed up or you have a chitty internet connection.

5. bchreng macrumors 65816

bchreng

Full screen HD youtube vid on my 2.0ghz macbook is far from perfect. YMMV.

6. Matek macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I sometimes have similar problems with my 2.0 GHz white macbook, but only on OS X, never in Windows. It's because of the bad flash plugin that's known to cause unreasonably high CPU loads. It sometimes helps if you close other intensive apps when playing your videos.

7. priller macrumors regular

Full screen HD plays fine on mine with flash 10.

8. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I'm running YouTube HD, even at fullscreen with no issues. I have a 2.4Ghz though. I'm assuming then that your internet connection is sub par, or you're consuming your processor and RAM with other applications. My internet connection is 17MB/s.

Could you take this test and report back?

9. Trexznl thread starter macrumors member

4GB.. Had 2 GB in it before, also had the same problem, no change there.

Nope, no 'chitty' internet connection here, more than decent enough for watching YouTube.

As far as I know my internet connection is OK. I took the test (actually do it on a regular basis) and I'm getting 8.53 MB/s.

The thing is, I'm mainly running Opera, which is part of the problem I guess. When viewing a vid in Safari, everything non hardcore HD is quite OK and 'true' HD vids are playable (not the best, but not bad alltogether).
    I'm a bit ashamed I actually didn't try Safari, but I've only used it a couple of times before, and I totally dislike it. The first time I ever used it on this MacBook it already crashed within like a minute. I've been running Opera since I've got my Macbook. Viewing videos in Opera seems to be impossible :confused: So it's actually not the MacBook (my bad) and it's not my internet connection.. it's my favorite browser. (Oh Noes).

Anyone here running youtube vids in Opera without any problems? :rolleyes:

10. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Hmm, that should be more than enough speed for YTHD. I'll give Opera a try right now, as I'm using Safari Beta 4.

11. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

EDIT: Just tried Opera and received a tidbit more amount of stuttering when in fullscreen in comparison to Safari 4. But it wasn't unwatchable by any means. Have you tried Firefox? I just tested in in fullscreen HD and didn't receive any stuttering. I'd use FireFox for everything if it had the three finger swipe.:rolleyes:

Oh, seems I posted rather than edited. Sorry.

12. fireman13 macrumors 6502

firefox beta does have three finger swipe. Works great.

13. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Thanks for the tip! I had 3.08. Is there and add-on that works in a similar manner to Safari's homepage or Opera's?
    EDIT: Moments after installation, I found it - Fast Dial.:)

14. fireman13 macrumors 6502

Yup, no problem. Glad you found what you were looking for

15. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

It doesn't have a "look up in dictionary" option on the right click. Ah well, back to Safari.:(

16. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

I get youtube stuttering on my 2.93GHz 17" MBP (when watching in HD)

Flash just sucks for OSX.