Alu MB Trackpad Button

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by BeachChair, Nov 12, 2008.

1. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

So what do you think about it?

I'm not too fond of it, I think its noisy and needs just a slight too much force to click. I only click it when I "right click"

2. DeLoMan macrumors regular

I don't mind the force needed to click it, but it sure is noisy on my new MBP!

3. asphyxiafeeling macrumors regular

asphyxiafeeling

i agree with your complaints; that being said, now that i've used this trackpad everytime i go to a PC notebook i'm frustrated at their small, cramped trackpads with those primitive buttons :eek:

4. BeachChair thread starter macrumors 6502a

Perhaps the noise bothers me the most, it sounds like one of these [​IMG]

Not a sexy crisp sound like modern mice: [​IMG]

5. MacJenn macrumors regular

I hate the sound also. Most people nice laptop, but when they hear the trackpad they laugh. It is a joke.

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

So you're saying you've had multiple people listen to the click of the trackpad and laugh out loud. And we're supposed to believe this? Pretty absurd.

7. MacJenn macrumors regular

Yep in class. I could careless what you think anyways. Looking at your post history all you do is make smartbutt replies without giving anyone help. Most people don't respond back to you for whatever reason. I guess it makes you feel good to put others down. Makes you feel better about your ...........

8. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

The trackpad doesn't seem more difficult to push or any louder than the button on my PowerBook G4. I always push at the very bottom with my thumb where the button used to be anyways.

9. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

wow i really dont think its that loud to cause people to laugh at it lol.

anyways i personally use the tap to click which is great, so i never have to actually depress the button. its quicker and no sound at all.

10. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

yup. thats what i do :) seems a lot easier and faster for me to use the trackpad like that instead of actually clicking

11. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

I don't know about all other Alu Macbook users, but I still haven't changed the trackpad to click with just touch. I like the idea of actually clicking it, otherwise its too sensitive. I also use bottom right corner click for right click (windows converter) and I use the two finger click for right click as well sometimes (def. easier than the bottom right click).

12. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

You know you can adjust the amount of force necessary to click the mouse button. Adjusting the force also changes the intensity of the click sound. Just remove the battery and look for the large adjustment screw (highlighted in red in the pic below). A small slotted screwdriver will fit in the head. The more you screw the adjustment screw in the less force is required to click the button. The sound of the click will also reduce. Try adjusting it a little at a time until it feels right. If you screw it in too far the button will not click so don't go too far.

[​IMG]

13. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

I only use the button for drag/drops... It's noisy and is hard to push down in the upper 1/3 of the pad. Tap to click is so much easier for clicking on things.

14. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

i dont even use the button cause of the noise. Its louder than the keyboard.

I use tap to click and tap to drag etc etc.

15. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Same here... VERY rarely do I find the need to click it. LOVE the tap to click and finger gestures!:D

16. gospel9 macrumors regular

I only use the click for

1) dragging things around
    2) need a precise click (so I can hear the sound to confirm it)

Agreed with the loud noise and pressure.
    But when I am doing 1) or 2) these things actually help me (so it confirms my click with the sound and pressure feedback).

Tapping works wonderfully for everything else. This is not to say that I don't like the trackpad; in fact I am sure most people will agree that it is the best trackpad ever made in notebook history! Don't forget about the multi touch scrolling, expose gestures, and the very generous size of thing.

17. No1451 macrumors 6502

Right....because your posts totally don't make you sound like a complete tool.

Either way, it does take a bit of force to click it, but I mostly used Tap to click anyway, so its not an issue.

18. Oceanmac macrumors newbie

THANK you for this tip. Worked like a charm. I was on my second MB. First one had the battery cover and keys issue. Second one perfect but the trackpad was very hard to click and very loud. A simple quarter-turn of the screw and all is well. Very little pressure to depress the trackpad and very quiet when I do.

19. zombie1210 macrumors regular

zombie1210

What model mouse is that? Do they make a BT one?

20. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I'm going have to try this. i don't mind it and I love the track pad. I hate going to other notebooks now even more. I had mine in a meeting at work and someone had a Sony Vaio and I thought his was louder.

21. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

Toilet Paper

I sandwiched a couple peaces of toilet paper cut to the size of the trackpad between the trackpad and battery. It still takes about the same amount of force to click but its a much more even and quite click.

22. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Is that the new uMBP?

Did you have to remove anything to get to the screw?

23. celticpride678

No that is the old uMB.