Alu unibody a1278 macbook Backlit keyboard

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RhianB, Aug 4, 2019.

1. RhianB, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019

RhianB macrumors 6502a

RhianB

Speaking of old intel macs, mid last week I killed the keyboard on my a1278 macbook. Long story short, frame on wall fell down & stabbed my MacBook through the B button, 3/4 of the keyboard now unresponsive.
    DB58CEDB-1BD9-4899-BDF7-CBC6FB3B12EE.jpeg
    As I’m poking around for a replacement, I learned that this MacBook (same one that unofficially supports 8gb Ram) also unofficially supports backlit keyboards. Turns out some have the port & capability, but never shipped with them. This is something I always thought was lacking on this model. Anyhoo, so I poke around a bit prepping the MacBook for a repair & sure enough, the port for the backlight ribbon is on my lobo (sometimes they aren’t) , right next to the keyboard & trackpad ribbon cables.

Three days later & my a1278 is back in action with a backlit keyboard - was $20 USD shipped too which was awesome. Taking all those little kb screws out is a pita & I almost killed the lvds port on the lobo but aside from that, the whole thing was straightforward.
    37C21B5D-F915-4174-B64E-D759DF70DCB2.jpeg
    I had no idea that these were bl upgradable. If any of you guys own one, I highly recommend the upgrade. Also, since you're taking the lobo out to get to the kb, you have direct access to the cpu/gpu combo-heatsink - 4 screws, the heatsink comes off & you can refresh that old cruddy thermal paste easy breezy.

For the curious, the lvds cable is this one:
    8CFDA1F3-0AA8-402B-B439-48FE974ABF0F.jpeg (forgive the grungy fingernail - was out working in the yard n dirt all day)
    Anyhoo, Be very careful removing it - it is a fragile design. I almost pulled that copper bit off. I was able to re-adhere it to the ribbon port with a tiny bit of superglue on the end so all is well but yeah, be forewarned. All of the otherports are robust in comparison to this one & pull right off with a spudger. Conversely, the lvds is a stubborn pita with a wonky hinge connector.

2. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Um, why is this in the PowerPC subforum?o_O

3. z970mp macrumors 68000

z970mp

Because we're awesome. :cool:

4. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Because a lot of us PowerPC users also own early Intel Macs. The Intel Mac forum that exists here on the MacRumors forum does not like dealing with the problems of users who own Intel Macs older than 1 year or more.

The collective solution in that forum for all early Intel problems can be summed up thusly: "Get a new Mac!"

So, we (the PowerPC forum community) also support early Intel Mac because the actual Intel Mac forum here on MR won't.

That's why.

5. RhianB, Aug 10, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2019

RhianB thread starter macrumors 6502a

RhianB

Those are both correct answers. A while back, we as a sub forum agreed to expand our forum focus to include early intel - there’s a thread about it if you care to fish for it.

That & yeah the participants in this forum are for the most part folks who are more about helping ppl figure things out vs new mac shaming or other flavors of such horse poo.

6. Jubadub macrumors regular

Jubadub

Having Intel Mac problems thrown at a Power Mac forum for such a reason seems simply like sweeping the dust under the carpet, rather than dealing with and actually solving the problem, which is within the Intel Mac section. (I.e. add an "Older Intel" subsection?)

In any case, I sympathize with the OP.

7. RhianB thread starter macrumors 6502a

RhianB

I think our solution is a pragmatic one, rooted in the need for ppl to get help. We can hold onto our ideals and pretend that *good* help exists equally across all subforums or we can be real, acknowledge that this is certainly not the case & take action to fill that vacuum; to help new unknowing early intel folks who stumble in here & discuss amongst ourselves that interesting narrow strip of time where ppc transitioned to Intel.

8. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Have you met the forum management yet?

You are not the first to suggest an early Intel forum. It just hasn't been justified to them yet. And considering that most early Intel users are actually us - well, we already have a forum.

9. Jubadub macrumors regular

Jubadub

I have never dealt with the forum management yet. But if others already suggested that, among other things, and this is the result, then my reaction is simply "welp, okay".

But since this is the case, it might be worth considering renaming the PowerPC forum to "PowerPC/Early Intel", to avoid confusion, especially for the people completely unaware of this situation/decision, which will be the case for anyone new, or anyone who simply missed the boat somehow, like myself and myscrnnm.

Just my two cents.

10. eyoungren, Aug 11, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2019

eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Makes sense to rename it right? Totally agree.

Here's what they'll say…"But we already have an Intel Mac forum".

LOL!

The management is a nice group of people but their focus is on limiting what they perceive as clutter.

I hear you though and I think you're right.