alubook mic in..

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by netddos, Nov 16, 2008.

1. netddos macrumors regular

where is mic in? the one next to headphone out does not fit!!!

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

That's the one. The audio-in minijack (as indicated by the >o< icon) should be the same size (3.5mm) as the headphone jack.

What microphone are you trying to use?

3. danny_w macrumors 601

That is line in however, not a microphone input. You will need a preamp for a microphone to use this input.

4. netddos thread starter macrumors regular

I was just planning to use some generic unpowered self-standing microphone..

Hummm what is this preamp you speak of? Can you elaborate?

5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

CD players, DVD players and things like the Apple TV all produce 'line level' audio (as does your iPod when it's near it's maximum volume), and this is what the input on your MacBook is designed to accept.

Microphones produce a TINY electrical signal (to give you an idea, in the most common type of microphone, a dynamic microphone, the electrical current is caused by air moving a tiny coil around an equally tiny magnet), and to get this up to the volume needed by your MacBook's line-in, you need a PreAmp.

http://www.dv247.com/invt/9212/ Behringer make a pretty cheap one, although don't expect anything special. Still, it also depends on what microphone you're using. Anything under around £60 worth and you're better off just buying a new USB-powered mic.

6. netddos thread starter macrumors regular

Humm why did Apple make the process so complicated...

It used be to..at least on the last gen macbooks..you just plug 3.5mm stereo cord into audio in and you were set..

basically getting the usb powered mic is the best way to go?

i need something that'll offer better fidelity than the stock one..(for vocal recordings)

7. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

it's not apple, that's normal with any soundcard. You can use a passive mic if you want (or directly plug in a passive instrument like a dry guitar) but it just doesn't sound the greatest and will require a lot of post processing to make it sound good. Go over to the audio forum and talk to those guys, they'll probably be able to help you out with whatever it is you want to do audio wise.

What are you trying to record anyways?

8. netddos thread starter macrumors regular

i'm trying to cover a song i like :)

yea well i guess i'll head over to the audio forum

9. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

:p here, I'm PM'ing you a link to my in-progress website. It has some MP3's of my work that just used a normal mic direct into the computer and my guitar and bass directly in. You can get decent quality if you put some work in.

10. netddos thread starter macrumors regular

haha i c. awesome :D

i'll be sure to check it out :)