Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakfrost

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Ontario Canada
Just spent a couple of days talking to Apple, trying to work thru the problem with my 2.4 alum 24" iMac screen...now waiting for the 'diagnostic requirements' to be completed by the 'Apple authorized service tech' to confirm the fact that there are 'grey horizontal bands' running from left ( strong ) to right ( weak ) on my screen, so he can then order, and then we can both wait, wait, wait, for the new display or as he said, new LED lighting....

WTF?

New LED lighting? What is he talking about...are there little LED bulbs stashed behind the display? Edge lighting?

I mentioned that I could have just popped off the glass ( or whatever it is...) cover and changed a couple of LED's myself if it hadn't been still under warrany ( 1 month to go, whew! ), and he said if I had of removed the 'glass' my warranty would have been voided. I asked how he would know if I removed it...( say, to clean behind it or something ), and he said there is a way known only to the 'special authorized Apple service tech people'.

If I hadn't been told by the other 2 Apple repairs stations that I would have to leave my iMac with them for at LEAST 2 weeks, ( plus its an hours drive each way to get to any one of the 3 available to me ), I would have grabbed my iMac off his counter and ran out of the place. I know tech folks can be strange but he was kinda out there :eek:.

But just in case...anyone ever heard of a 'secret handshake' kinda thing where he might be right?

OK, now I'm just being paranoid :eek: :D.

Jim

YuriVoorhak

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
The iMac doesn't use an LED backlight, and the glass is held on by magnets. I'm not sure I'd trust this guy with my TV remote. :rolleyes:

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
The iMac doesn't use an LED backlight, and the glass is held on by magnets. I'm not sure I'd trust this guy with my TV remote. :rolleyes:

The current iMacs do not use LED lighting, but we're all pretty sure the new ones will. This is just another possible sign that the new iMacs are right around the corner...

Bryan

YuriVoorhak

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
The current iMacs do not use LED lighting, but we're all pretty sure the new ones will. This is just another possible sign that the new iMacs are right around the corner...

Gosh, it never occurred to me that Apple would swap parts from existing models with ones from unconfirmed, not yet released models... especially at an authorized repair shop! I just assumed this tech was a clod, had a speech impediment (LCD--> LED), or both!

Wait a minute.. wat? :rolleyes:

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
He's wrong, it won't void the warranty to open it yourself. But if you break something it's not covered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.