Alum Macbook Fan

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ercanbas, Jan 9, 2009.

1. ercanbas macrumors regular

Hello,

New owner of a Alum Macbook 2.4/4gig coming from a Macbook Air Rev B/SSD. My question about the Macbook is the fans, I feel like even when just Safari is on, my fans are on at a constant hum at 1994rpm-2000rpm. Is that normal? Even when nothing is open? My Macbook Air was dead silent but then again that was with ssd. Would like to hear your opinions.

2. mathieuheartmac macrumors member

I have an Aluminum macbook, and my fans only come on (or at least I can only hear them) when I have been watching a video online or a dvd for a while.
    I almost never hear my fans.
    I am not familiar with how that might differ between machines, or if it should.

3. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

that rpm is normal, its its lowest limit, and there is only 1 fan in a alu macbook, i know, i had mine replaced the other week, cos it was rubbing blades on the sidewalls of the fan enclosure, making a right racket, now replaced all nice and quite again, infact im sure quieter than the original

4. ercanbas thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I just don't understand why they're still audible. even she. I wake it from sleep the fans automatically kick on

5. jaglad macrumors member

The fan in my alu macbook runs at a constant 1994-2000 rpm, which is the same speed as the fans always used to run in my previous generation Macbook Pro. To be honest though, unless the room is totally silent, I never hear them.

6. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Run a search and you'll find plenty of threads about this issue... It's most likely your HDD making a woosh sound. Open your battery cover and see if the sound gets and worse. Then you'll know for SURE whether it's the HDD! Let us know ...

7. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

It's fine I'd sometime heard my fan when on my MB for quite a while and you can only hear if you are in a very quite room other than that..I usually don't hear mine..

8. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

The fans never turn off and even at idle they run at about 2000 rpm, so that part is normal. However, unless you put your head close to the machine they shouldn't make a hum. There were some other users who had the same problem, went back to the Apple Store and got their fans replaced and the noise went away.

Some other 2.4 users though found out it was their 7200 rpm HD making the hum and even some vibration. You could have either gotten a bad fan or you could have gotten a noisy hard drive.

9. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

The fans are idle at 2000RPM. They will ramp up to 4000RPM or so when you do something processor intensive but they don't get nearly as hot as previous MBs. Previous MBs easily get above 6000 RPM during use.

The HDD is what is making the noise.