Alum macbook HD noise squeeze(gently) bottom right it goes away!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Dairyman, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Dairyman macrumors member

on my 2.4 alum macbook the HD noise is killing me it is a constant wooossshhhh when i squeeze the top and bottom(right of trackpad and bottom of battery door) the noise is MUCH quieter

is anyone else experiencing the same prob?

2. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

YES! Mine is not really THAT loud, but i can hear it in a quiet room just typing away. It's really NOT that big of a deal to me, since this is my fourth and all the other ones had BIGGER issues.
    I took the battery/HD cover off and it seems like the whole thing that holds the HD in is a little loose and that might cause it to make more noise than usual. later down the road i'm thinking about replacing my HD anyway, so I'm not too worried about it right now.

Also, when i press down on the case on the right side of the trackpad, i hear a small click as if the aluminum is hitting something under it. Not really big deal, but it's there.

3. Dairyman thread starter macrumors member

EXACTLY that is the same thing that i have. when i use my comp at night in bed it is REALLY annoying. i have a SSD here gonna install it today so holefully it will go away. im gonna try to tighten the HD bracket a little bit as well

4. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Please let me know how it affects the noise and take a few pictures while you're doing it. I want to see what screws you're tightening. Good luck!

5. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Did you succeed with your little project? Any results?
    Thanks.

6. Dairyman thread starter macrumors member

tightening the screws will NOT help the HD sits inside the computer in a rubber cradle. what i did do was purchase a SSD the 2.4 alum mb is INSANELY quick now and DEAD DEAD silent

sooooooo much better!

check out ifxit.com for pics of the HD

7. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

I have been progressing this issue, as it's driving me nuts. I know its not fundamental to the workings of the mb, and its driving me nuts cos when im using mb in a quiet room everytime i take my hand off the plam rest its apparent.

so...

i started trying things out,

Insulating tape round the little pegs that sit the drive in the chassis i only did the inside 2 where you can clamp the drive with the screw - same

Post it notes under the drive, 21 to be precise, maybe a minor difference, 21 post its were required to actually fill the cavity under the drive, which makes me think yes its the area and yes its the drive but no its not the pressure on the drive when your hand is resting on the area as the drive is effectivly "floating" on the 4 pins.

so i tried the post its on top of the drive, you can notice a difference but still hear the difference when you rest your palm on it.

I'm also not particularly fond of having tape and post it notes stuffed inside especially with the minimal effect they had. so all has been removed, and now the central heating has turned on i cant notice it any way

sure ssd is what i want and probably the way forward anyway, but im skint having just got the mb itself.

8. biasx31 macrumors newbie

Same here. I also tried post its, rubbers ,foam but nothing helped. Iam afraid this is a general issue :/ probably gonna get a ssd when they get cheaper

9. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Mine just may be quieter than yours but it seriously never bothers me. MAYBE when i'm working in a really quiet room, but i usually have music turned on. YES I usually am anal about stuff, and it really bugged me at first, but I am just glad everything else works fine on it... And i'm not planning on a new HD anytime soon! :)

10. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

What SSD did your purchase?

11. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

The faint clicking bothers me more than the HDD fan. But you guys only notice this because the computer itself is really quiet and when you are in a silent room. Put headphones on and you can't hear it. (But then of course you get into the sound card popping and hissing.) :rolleyes: