ALUM MACBOOK or Glossy Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kelv1ntran, Mar 25, 2009.

  1. kelv1ntran macrumors member

    Jan 28, 2009
    i currently have a macbook aluminum 2.4 ghz with self upgraded 4gb of ram. and the stock 250gb hdd my sister wants to buy a laptop and she wants a macbook my schools bookstore is selling the older 2.5ghz 2gb of ram and 250gb hdd for a really good price. i kind of want it however i can't seem to part with my macbook either what should i do? buy the macbook pro and give my sister my macbook or keep my macbook and have my sister deal with her own laptop. i would kinda like the bigger screen but yea. i could live without help me decide! please :) push me in 1 way or another
  2. jmann macrumors 604


    Dec 8, 2007
    bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Yeah the screen size is nice, but would you really need all that extra power that comes with the pro? If your nice Aluminum MacBook is working fine for you, why would you part with it. Let your sister get the Pro, and you stay with the smaller lighter MacBook. :)
  3. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

    Sep 25, 2008
    I just sold me early 08 MBP and picked up the 2.4 Aluminum Macbook and cant be happier. I like the portability and the fact that its built like a tank. I also have a new hd and ram coming in the mail, and changing the hd on the old MBP seems to be a gray area as far as warranties go. Just my personal opinion, not that my MBP was a bad computer by any stretch of the imagination.
  4. petermcphee macrumors 6502a


    Aug 20, 2008
    As others have mentioned, the construction of the unibody MB is really nice. If you're happy with it, the MBP might be a disappointment.
  5. svndmvn Guest

    Nov 6, 2007
    I used to have a white Macbook, a rev A actually.. i've never liked the Pros looks, and now that I practically have the money I still prefer the smaller one, would never buy an old Gen Macbook Pro. The unibody one has too many advantages to my eyes and the Pro features, apart from the better screen, I'd never use them.
  6. techound1 macrumors 68000


    Mar 3, 2006
    Stick with the MB unless you have a compelling reason to go up in screen size.
  7. kelv1ntran thread starter macrumors member

    Jan 28, 2009
    haha thanks macrumors for the help in my decision stickin wit my macbook :) <3 haha
  8. cfairbank macrumors 6502

    Nov 12, 2006
    kelv1ntran, I am in the same boat as you. I have had a 2.16 MBP for the past 2 1/2 yrs and bought a 2.4 ghz almuminum macbook the other day. I have been waivering back and forth on keeping the macbook or returning it for a new mbp. I have wanted something a bit smaller to travel with. To be honest I am not a gamer and primarily use the ilfe stuff for my photos and video.

    Just cant decide whether I want to stay with the macbook or go with the mbp. Part of me says that I will be missing out on the larger mbp. Then again I don't think I am using it to its potential. The other thing that concerns me is the screen. I have heard a lot of complaints here on the forum.

    I know you came to your decision a few days ago. Are you still happy. I have another week to decide.
  9. peapody macrumors 68040


    Oct 7, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    I have always been in the same boat - trying to make this decision. But I guess the thing that keeps me from selling off the 2.16C2D MBP is that I have a 12.1" thinkpad and that is comparable in size to the alum MB. The size separation is what makes me keep the MBP.

Share This Page