alum macbook? or just go with mbp?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Icarus73, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Icarus73 macrumors regular

Hello,

I had planned on getting an iMac as an upgrade from my 12 inch ibook G4...but now that i'm not moving into an apartment, i decided portability is more important to me before.

I love the look of the MBP way more than the plain ol plastic MB, and the screen size of the MBP is definitely a plus. However If an alum MB was introduced in either june or july, it might be worth waiting for to me.

When should we expect MB and MBP updates?

Thanks,
    Tim

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Wait until WWDC on the 9th, and there may be updates to one or both of them :)

3. Konvert macrumors newbie

Konvert

Its unlikely that there will be updates to a consumer product (i.e. MacBook) at a developers conference. Also Intel have delayed their Montevina platform until june 14th and it was rumoured that the new MB's would adopt this platform.

However I would expect the update to appear sometime in July (maybe late June), so if you can wait until then I would recommend you do.

4. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

Westsider 4 Mac

wait...

... to see your options toward the middle of June. Then get a MBP...:):apple:

5. tlassitter macrumors newbie

Interesting assumption since the entire world is expecting an update to "THE" consumer product at WWDC, the iPhone. But it is likely that the MacBook update will be delayed until July due to the Intel delay, but it still could be announced at WWDC, or not.

6. blakintosh macrumors member

MM.. well Worldwide DEVELOPERS Conference will have a part for the iPhone for one reason... to develop apps for the iphone (app store) and this is why the update of the iphone is expected at WWDC, it has nothing to do if it is a consumer product or not. The things that are talked at WWDC are most likely to interest developers and that is the main type of people that go to the WWDC.

We can also see updates to macbooks but we never know until the day of. :eek:

7. Icarus73 thread starter macrumors regular

well,

couldn't wait. i'm sick of the ibook G4 running tiger. parts of it are broken, the screen flickers on and off all the time, the battery is dead, the original power supply broke, and the speakers don't work.

I bought the baseline MacBook Pro with a glossy display.

If a new MBP is released at wwdc, I should be protected by apple's 14 day protection deal. If it's just announced and not released, then I'm happy with my purchase.

8. lazydesi macrumors 6502

Damm intel delayed the new CHipset, if you can wait, I can say the new chipset is 100 times faster than current one in MB

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Good onya' now go out and enjoy your brand spankin' new MBP! Congrats! I bought a new MB last August '07 and there was no new line of MBs until February '08, at which time I picked-up the BlackBook 2.4 Penryn and couldn't be any happier. Plus, I got a $349 iPod Black 80GB for $150 plus tax. :p

10. tlassitter macrumors newbie

Well that was exactly my point. Developers do still develop for the Mac, not just the iPhone, but the iPhone will certainly be in the spotlight. :cool:

11. ibmman69 macrumors member

I don't think there will be a MB refresh either. I think they will wait until after back to school in order to deplete inventory...similar to what they did with the iPhone.

Plus, I don't think Steve will blow his whole wad at one time.

12. Icarus73 thread starter macrumors regular

Here's how I got my MacBook Pro for $1599:

Bought MBP at student discount at $1799
    Bought iPod touch on same order at $299
    Order total: $2,098

Get rebate for iPod w/ back to school offer: -$299
    New total: $1799

Sell iPod touch to friend or ebay at a discount to them for $200

New total: $1599

horray for $400 off a MBP!!!

I used this same technique when I bought the iBook G4 oh-so-long ago. Got my iBook new for something like $899

13. donmei macrumors regular

even if the macbook goes aluminum, you've stil got the 13" screen. This is unacceptably small for me.

If finances dictate, look into a refurb 15" mbp. I thik they can be had for about 1500.

Another option, with the back to school special is to buy the mbp, pay $200 for the 32 gb touch and then sell the touch on ebay. You'll probably net 450, so 250 towards the mbp.

Sure its a hassle, but I dont know your finances, so you decide.

14. krye macrumors 68000

krye

i don't think we'll see anything anytime soon. Remember, Apple just launched their biggest back to school program yet. They'd piss off a lot of customers who just ran out and bought a MacBook for them to go and release something new next week.