Alumabook 500GB HDD Upgrade Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tmackgt89, Nov 7, 2008.

1. tmackgt89 macrumors member

I ordered a 500GB Samsung HDD to upgrade the standard drive in my new Aluminum 2.4GHz Macbook. I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the existing drive then shut down and did the switcheroo.

After the switch the Macbook won't boot to the new drive - I get a grey screen saying that the Macbook needs to be restarted or shut down. Doing so results in an endless loop displaying the same screen.

Any ideas on what might have went wrong or what I should check??

Thanks in advance for the help!!

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

disk prep first?

Did you run disk utility from the DVD first to partition and format the bare drive?

I installed that same drive in my new MacBook without any problems. I did start with a new installation from the recovery disks however, after performing the partition/format as mentioned.

good luck...

-howard

3. Kendall015 macrumors regular

Do you have to format the drive with GUID partitions first before you restore with carbon copy cloner, or does running carbon copy cloner copy that kind of information about a drive too?

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

There's your likely answer.

5. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

The problem is that you can't just clone a system from an older machine and expect it to run on a new machine. The new machines always come with a version of the OS that supports the new features, so using an older OS will certainly cause problems

The best way to migrate is to make a time machine backup of the old machine, and then specify this backup when going through the setup on the new machine. You can also use your ccc backup as the source for migration assistant as well.

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

OP's not doing that. He's simply replacing the smaller capacity drive that came with his MB with a larger capacity drive. CCC will work perfectly fine for him, provided the drive is initialized with a GUID partition table.

7. tmackgt89 thread starter macrumors member

Problem Solved -Thanks Guys!!

That was the problem!! Thanks! I re-formatted then ran CCC again and everything is working fine now with the new 500GB Sammy!

:)

8. Kendall015 macrumors regular

Wow...that was just a guess. Glad I could help :)

9. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Please, call it anything, even "LilMacBuddy", but don't call it "Alumabook".