AluMacbook keeps turning on and off while screen is closed

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacGuy84, Nov 6, 2008.

1. MacGuy84 macrumors member

So heres my problem, sometimes when I unplug my digital camera while the screen is closed my "GlassBook" will start coming in and out of sleep mode over and over with the lid still closed (even though I ejected the camera from the desktop before I closed the computer). I know this because I can hear the optical drive checking itself and I can see the apple on the front turning on and off. My old blackbook would do this just once but then go right back to sleep with my iphone for example.

Once I open the computer everything seems to work normally but if I close it back up the problem will persist. It doesnt seem to clear up until I shut down or restart the computer. I have tried to replicate the problem but it doesnt want to do it all the time. It has happened to me twice in the past 3 days that i have had the computer and I dont think that my 1st one did this. I had to return my first one because it had a blown speaker.

Has anyone else here on the forums noticed this? Would you guys be able to help me out and if you have the new Aluminum MacBook disconnect your Digital camera while your screen is closed and the computer is in sleep mode to see what happens, I would really appreciate knowing if this is a common problem that may just be fixed with a software update.

Thanks in advance guys.

2. panzaman macrumors member

.. I got the exact same problem on my Alu MacBook 2.0ghz

3. Bwilky macrumors regular

This could be because your keyboard touches your lcd. Scenario: You close lid, Macbook sleeps, keyboard button is held down and un-sleeps, mac sleeps cause lid is closed.

This might be?

4. JBazz macrumors 6502

I have been having this problem as well. It wont stay asleep when I stow it. Several times I have gone to take it out of its case and it has been very hot. I havent taken the time to go into Apple store yet, but I am thinking I might have too.

5. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

Mine did it a couple times.. but usually stays asleep. It only happened for me when I had it paired with a bluetooth mouse.

Now that they aren't paired anymore, it stays asleep.

I think this was more of an issue with my mouse than the notebook, though. It loses connection and reconnects frequently... which probably caused the notebook to wake up prematurely.

6. grady2007 macrumors newbie

I had a 2.0 alu macbook that I had to return after 1 week due to screen going fuzzy spontaeously and having to hard restart the computer to get it to work. Sometimes Mac would not boot and only beep. Ended up exchanging it for a 1st gen. macbook air for the same price and could't be happier. At least it screwed up within 14 days :)

7. fatefulwhisper macrumors regular

I had the same problem w/ my bluetooth mouse but found a way to prevent that from happening... goto Apple Logo > System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Bluetooth > Uncheck "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer"

8. MacsBestFriend macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

9. christiemp macrumors regular

christiemp

Mine sometimes does this when I'm carrying it upstairs out of it's case. I can hear the drive clicking on and off or whatever. Like the sound it makes when you open the screen and bring it out of sleep, it makes that sound. I had never noticed if the little apple goes on or not when it does that. However, yesterday night when I picked it up to put it on my dresser while it was in sleep mode, the drive made that clicking noise to turn on and the apple flickered on then off. I don't get it? Is it coming out of sleep?!

I don't want this to happen while it's in my case...maybe I'm better off turning it off to travel..

Maybe this "no latch" business isn't as nice as previously thought.

10. ATimson macrumors regular

It's a bug that occurs if you unplug a USB device before the machine finishes going to sleep. Wait for the light to start blinking before you unplug any USB devices.

11. JBazz macrumors 6502

I was hoping, but when I checked my settings I didnt have the option allowed.

As for USB devices, I am not plugging or unplugging anything when it has happened. Last time I pulled it out and it was fire hot, I had been using it in my car prior so i wasnt using a mouse and I didnt have the power cord engaged.

I think I kinda remember this being an issue on one of my prior macbook/ibooks. And I think I remember it going away with an update or something with the software. I cant really recall, but because I think it has been and issue prior, I havent put too much effort into running into the Apple store to find out whats up.

12. pwsppedp macrumors newbie

dreaming while in sleep mode

I put my computer to sleep last night went to get something out of the fridge and noticed it started waking up and falling back to sleep all by itself. It did this at least 5 times before I went over and turned it off. Interestingly this made me think of several weeks ago when I put my computer to sleep and the next day I went to open it but the battery apparently had died while asleep. It completely froze up the computer taking 10 minutes just to boot up. Doing anything was virtually impossible. I had to pull the hard drive save everything and then do a clean install. I only lost a few items from my mail. I assume the mail program was left on and there were corrupted email when the power failed. What a nightmare took a week to get it figured out and straightend out!:mad:

13. claimed4all macrumors 6502

Its the Bluetooth

Like others have said, its BLUETOOTH. Just set your bluetooth so it will not wake you computer. Could be your mouse, keyboard, cellphone, could be anything bluetooth. Just turn it off and all is well.

14. nowords macrumors newbie

i dont have anything bluetooth and its doing it, the usb answer sounds about right