Alumacbook or PowerBook+iMac G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by slapguts, Apr 16, 2009.

1. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

I've been torn between these two options.

I want an illuminated keyboard, and the upgrade price for a unibody MacBook with this upgrade, I could get a G4 PowerBook, and a G4 iMac.

I spend every other month on tour with my band, and need something portable. I'd like to keep a mac at home for the girlfriend to use while I'm on the road. Something harder for her to break than my hackintosh was (she updated to 10.5.6 while I was gone, and killed my perfect running hackbook).

So what do you think? Is the unibody worth it? I like the idea of a full warranty and AppleCare.

I just checked, and the mackbook air also has a backlit keyboard. The 1.6 is on the refurb site for $999. Are they really as bad as they seem to be? For $1700, the air seems like a joke. But for $999 they seem slot more viable.

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I'm assuming you still have the hackintosh. Take that on the road and buy the uni mb. Leave the mb with the gf when you're on the road and you'll have the hackintosh in hand to keep anyone from updating past your hack.

3. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Buy that aluminum macbook and dual boot the hackintosh to windows and run windows on it while your gone.

4. slapguts thread starter macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Being stuck on the bus with a broken hackintosh scares the hell out of me, to be honest. There's a windows machine at home the GF can use, too (living room media comp).

I can't get the vaio to boot from a CD, no matter what I've tried (two different drives, and an external). It might be officially bricked. The week or so I spent getting it to run perfect before is time I don't have right now. I'm giving up on hackintoshs, for awhile anyway. I want something that 'just works'.

I must say, I'm extremely tempted by the Air. $999 would leave enough left over for a G4 iMac.

5. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

Hi

In my oppinion get an air and a g4. The g4s are good and i have used the air and i think its nice and if your not gaming alot its fine:apple:

6. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

It's an amazing deal. I had to jump on that one myself and I'm quite happy with it.

Oh, and I doubt you bricked the vio. Pull the drive, use one of those usb-to-naked-drive cables, hook it into the mac and reformat it.

7. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

8. slapguts thread starter macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Those are pretty as heck, and have way more power than I'd ever need, but they're not very portable...:)

Pretty sure I'm gonna go for the G4 & Air combo.

There's a 20" iLamp on the local craigslist.

Thanks again for the replies.

9. slapguts thread starter macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Went for the Air, and I'm in love. Perfect for what I needed. Amazing little machine.