Aluminium iMac............Should I Buy ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kuska, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Kuska macrumors regular

Kuska

I decided that it was time to give my G5 a rest and upgrade to the new 2.8GHz iMac (24"). Well it just must have been 3 years - hasn't it?

Anyway I've placed an order - Problem is, having now read a few threads on the new machines there seem to be a few teething problems.

Is the general concensus that most of the problems are minor and individuals are being picky (which they have every right to be, afterall who wants something sub standard - and they are expensive machines) or should I really be concerned and cancel.

P.S I was driven quite mad by broken pixels on my PSP so I know how badly I'm likely to react to problems with a brand new mac.

Kuska:(

2. amakh007 macrumors member

Bought mine (20 inch 2.4 GHz) 3 weeks ago. Made switch from PC to Apple. I love it! Great design, nice power, has worked well...

3. cowman007 macrumors regular

Bought mine and it's amazing. I love it. This will be my first Mac

4. thesdx macrumors 6502a

I love my iMac! You'll love yours, too. Most people only post when there's a problem. That's why there's a bunch of negative threads.

5. bwv1013 macrumors newbie

i'll agree with the sentiment that a lot of the people who post are the ones that do experience problems. allow me to be a voice of confidence for your purchase. i've had an imac for 8 months now, no problems. my MBP is less than a week old but no issues whatsoever. i to was concerned about potential defects (i.e. yellow screen issue on the MBP) but my concerns disappeared as soon as i got my hands on my new toy. :D

i say follow through with your purchase and enjoy an awesome machine.

6. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I have the 24" iMac AL and I love it. The only issue I had with it was the gamma correction is very bright out of the box. I don't have any professional calibration tools so I did some searching on Apple.com and found that the Target Gamma should be 2.2 and the Target White Point should be D65. I made these changes and the iMac display now looks like every other Mac I've used.

7. Kuska thread starter macrumors regular

Kuska

Fantastic

Thankyou all - Great to hear some positive responses - Now all I have to do is wait another 14 days......................:rolleyes: - My 4GB Kingston RAM turned up today from the WStore - Just to tease me a bit.

Kuska

8. pizzacake macrumors member

I'm getting my hands on a 24" iMac as soon as Leopard arrives in a few weeks time. Great to hear the positive reviews, thanks.

9. tripo11 macrumors newbie

I've been thinking about the same thing. I want a 24", but after reading about the problems posted in this Forum I am not so sure.
    On the other side, like someone said, people mostly come here and post comments when they have problems with their hardware, not when everything is ok.

There might be a problem with a few 24"s but not all of them (you see?, that's me trying to convince myself that I will end up buying one)

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Same here. Love it.