Aluminium Keyboards

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bingefeller, Nov 13, 2007.

1. bingefeller macrumors 6502

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to a good aluminium slimline keyboard? I was looking at the Apple one but you need to have OS 10.4.10, which I don't and won't be upgrading to either so I guess that's out of the question. Any other good makes out there? I'd prefer a wired keyboard rather than wireless. :)

I was thinking of this one. What do you guys think?

2. Cloudane macrumors 65816

Cloudane

I may be wrong (recommend doing a search) but I should imagine the Apple one will work just fine in older versions of OS X. Assuming it's just a standard HID device, and I'd be surprised if it isn't. After all, it even works in Windows ;)

They probably just mean you need 10.4.10 for the media keys, which are a PITA anyway... I prefer them functioning as F-keys.

3. bingefeller thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought that it should work too for that very reason, but wasn't 100%. I wonder if anyone here uses the keyboard with older versions of OS X.....

4. Yvan256 macrumors 601

I have been using the new aluminum keyboard with my Mac mini G4 and Tiger since it was released (the keyboard, not the Mac mini/Tiger). I'm now using it with my new Mac mini Core 2 Duo but I can also disable the new functions in system preferences and revert back to standard function keys (useful for playing games such as Diablo 2).

Just don't look at the icons on the function keys and you will be ok. Otherwise it's just confusing. :D

P.S.: you will hate the new keyboard when you get it, it's probably normal (unless you're used to the MacBook keyboard). Give it a few days. After that, it's the old keyboards which will feel strange to type on. Too much travel in the keys.

5. glennyboiwpg macrumors 6502

I thought i would hate the new slim silver keyboard... but I don't... I actually LOVE IT.

go to bestbuy and test it out. (or an applestore if you have one.)

6. Cloudane macrumors 65816

Cloudane

I *thought* I would hate it. I had visions of poor tactile feedback, like trying to programme a microwave, which obviously would be horrible for any kind of prolonged use.

However I loved it straight away. The feel of keypresses is spot on, despite there being less travel in the keys, and as a bonus this means less energy expended shoving the things down. Result :)

7. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I also own the al keyboard and it sure is a nice keyboard.
    since I am a MB owner it is nice to have an ext. keyboard that feels almost the same as the MB keyboard (in my opinion the keys on the MB are a bit harder than on the al keyboard).

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I'm a huuuge fan of the MB (and hence, Apple's new alum KBs). But in the most recent issue of MacLife, they reviewed a KB that really really intrigues me (article here, link to manufacturer's site here, pics here). It has height adjustability in the front and rear. But what I find most compelling?

Powered USB 2.0 ports. ;)

9. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

I have been using the alu keyboard for a couple of months. Although I find the keys a little bit close together for my hands (and they're not particularly big hands), typing is still a pleasure on it. I used a clunky generic keyboard last weekend and found it the most painful thing ever. It made me slow and ridiculously inaccurate. I felt like a granny introduced to a computer for the first time. Although in actual fact I haven't really used a "proper" keyboard on a regular basis for about six years because my previous keyboard was on my PowerBook. Final verdict: buy one, it is another tool in the Mac user's arsenal to make them even more efficient.

10. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I have to agree that the non powered USB hub is sad...
    if you are an iMac owner they are supposed to work but on other Macs they apparently won't... at least they aren't powered on my MB

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Same here. I had major reservations about it, but I have to say, I prefer it to a 'normal' keyboard now.

12. bingefeller thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the responses, guys. I think that I will get the Apple aluminium keyboard. It certainly felt very nice when I tried it out today in PC World.

I will look into getting it. :)