Aluminium Macbook 2.0 Vs. Black Macbook 2.4?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stark4, Oct 27, 2008.

1. stark4 macrumors 6502

Which one should i buy? Aluminium Macbook 2.0MHz 2GB RAM 160GB HD or Black Macbook 2.4 2GB RAM 250GB HD? i want to use it for web, email but play game once or twice a month but i'll mostly use it to watch HD videos. i'll also connect the macbook to my 21" monitor time to time.

please let me decide which one should i choose?

Aluminium Macbook 2.0MHz 2GB RAM 160GB HD or Black Macbook 2.4 2GB RAM 250GB HD

i can't afford the Aluminium Macbook 2.4 so it is out of the question.

Thanks

I don't want the macbook pro either because 13" is good enough for me. i want my macbook to be portable.

2. esphil macrumors member

Get a macbook pro refurb for the same price. You will have to pay 100 more to connect the new macbook to a monitor because u need that dumb adapter.

3. omarjk macrumors regular

It is a personal choice and there is not a glaring right answer to your question.

The difference in processor speed is not vast but you do get a larger hard drive as standard with the 'BlackBook'.

You can possibly upgrade the hard disk in the new MacBook inexpensively and even look at moving to a 7200 rpm disk- you will have to ask someone else whether it will make a great difference or not.

I have an external hard disk cased in an Icy Box casing that gives an extra 300 GB back up if and when I need it. Cost was £45 ($90 at the time). NB that firewire capability has been removed from the new MacBook.

I think the most attractive hardware features of the newer MacBook are the improved RAM performance and the upgraded graphics card.

I believe it is aesthetically more pleasing and because it is made from aluminium you will not suffer any potential casing issues such as the cracked palmrest (I know this has been a problem on even the most recent WhiteBooks but cannot confirm whether the BlackBook was affected).

Omar

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Pretty much my thoughts on the matter, too.
    Cheers

5. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

Get the aluminum macbook. The processor does wonders for HD video.

Look at this post.

That $99 "dumb" adapter is if you want to drive a 30" display (dual link DVI). The single link DVI adapter will be $30 for anything less than 1200x1600 resolution...

6. agrocall macrumors newbie

For me, if I were you:
    2.0 Alu MB ($1299) > 2.2 - 2.4 Refurb MBP (~$1300-1400) > 2.2 Refurb Whitebook ($999) > 2.4 Refurb Blackbook ($1099)

If I were you, I would definitely go with the 2.0 Glassbook. Performance differences between the 2.0 Glassbook and 2.4 Blackbook will be negligible for what you are using it for (web, email, word processing...). H.264 support and the improved integrated graphics chip on the aluminum model will mean better HD video viewing and better gaming, which is light and day compared to the old MBs. When you take into account the new unibody construction (you don't know how nice and sturdy it feels until you actually hold it in your hands) and better LED screen, it's a no brainer in my mind. The only real reason for you to get the Blackbook is the larger HD size and slightly higher price: You can easily buy a 200 GB hard drive for less than $70 and install it in the alu MB yourself. Also, the new design features and vastly superior graphics card more than make up for the $200 premium.

Despite your reservations, personally, I think a refurb Macbook Pro would be my second option, especially if the rather reflective screen on the new MBs bothers you. In my experience, the old MBP plenty mobile and only 1 lbs heavier than the new MBs. It has a full DVI port, so you won't need to buy an adapter. The old MBP design is still very sleek and light for it's size. Performance will be comparable to the 2.0 Glassbook, except being slightly better for gaming. You will also get a backlit keyboard not found on the 2.0 Glassbook, definitely a nice touch when taking notes during presentations. At the firesale prices they are at now, these old MBPs have been selling like hotcakes at the refurb store (according to one Apple telephone rep, even faster than the new MBPs) and they are quickly running out, so this could be a negative if you want to take your time to decide. Right now, only the 2.4 MBP for $1349 is available, but check back daily to see if they have the cheaper 2.2 ghz models available.

The Blackbook would be my very last option. Frankly, if money is really tight and you HAD to take one of the previous gen MBs, I would take the refurb 2.2 Whitebook with the Superdrive (assuming u need one) for $999 and save that $100 you would have spent on the Blackbook and instead and pop in 4 GB of RAM for < $80. Performance wise, they will be identical during light web browsing and I find the white nicer and cleaner, although this is totally subjective.

Personally, I think the Whitebook and previous MBP are timeless, classic designs. If you are looking for a more "hip" design, the new alu MB/Ps fit that nicely.

7. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I bought a refurb Macbook Pro instead of the new Macbook, all I can say is that I saved money and got a far better machine without the stupid glossy screen.

IMHO go for a refurb Macbook Pro you wont be disappointed.

8. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

If I were you I would get the refurb Macbook Pro, then the blackbook and last the new 2.0 alu. My friend has the new 2.0 and the screen isn't that good and worse than my blackbook. The blackbook benchmark wise is about 20% better in performance than the new 2.0 and I tested it against my friends to make sure. Mine was clearly faster and we both have 4GB in ours. You can buy 4GB's for the refurb Pro or blackbook for $25 from Fry's and to do that in the new one it will set you back $150. Yes the new one has better graphics which will help if you are a big gamer (which if that is the case you shouldn't buy any reg Macbook) and it will help a little whenever Snow Leopard comes out next year. Also take in consideration the problems the Rev A's have when they first come out. I like the new one ( don't care for the black keys, but that is only cosmetic so big deal and hate it doesn't have Firewire--STUPID Apple--previous Macbooks have FW), but I'm waiting until next year when Snow comes out, maybe the new intel chip comes out, and the problems Apple is facing right now with the new ones will hopefully be solved by then.

9. stark4 thread starter macrumors 6502

are you sure The blackbook benchmark wise is about 20% better in performance than the new 2.0?

then will definitely go for blackbook because macbook pro 15" will be to big to take it outside with me if i want to.

10. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I agree 100% with this insightful post!~

I too am deciding between those you list- I think the new design, better performance, etc. all will steer me into a new Glassbook! (although after I get my 40" HD and PS3 that is~) Luckily for me my school just bought me a white MacBook to hold me over!

11. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

12. APPLENEWBIE macrumors 6502a

How about considering the 1.6 ghz/80 gb $1349 MacBook Air refurb?. It would probably have plenty of horsepower for what you need. Plus the new display, lighted keyboard and, oh so very light?

13. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

New design? Yes Better graphics? Yes. Better screen? Highly debatable. Mine looks better than my friends new 2.0. His blacks are horrible. Go to the Macbook forum and look at what many are saying about it. Better performance? Nope (Comparing the last gen 2.4 to the new 2.0 the new 2.0 is 20% less performing and the new 2.4 is only 7% better than the last gen 2.4). Granted Snow Leopard will use more GPU and that might change the performance some (know one knows how much for certain), but I don't think it will be enough to make a 20% difference especially if the OP throws out $25 for 4GB's.

That said the new one is nice. I want one next year when they improve it.

Whatever the OP decision is he will get a great computer. They are all awesome.

14. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Another reason why I'd choose an older Macbook or Macbook Pro over the new one is to do with the chipset.

The nVidia chipset although not too bad you can't compare it to the older generation Intel Centrino chipsets. Intel do mobile well and generally they do it much better than any one else.

15. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Does your friend know how to calibrate a monitor?

16. lensam macrumors newbie

I wouldnt call it a glossy screen like on a Dell or the like. I would compare it to a Flat Screen CRT television. Its made of glass not plastic. I think its pretty clear.

17. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Yep. We tried 3 different calibration programs and it didn't make it any better really. Maybe a little. He read the threads on here about the problem and even went to the Apple store and they couldn't make it any better (they even put the movie CD we brought in to test 2 others they had, but same result). Evidently others are having the problem and it can't be fixed by calibration because of how the led light is situated it makes the blacks better on top, but worse on the bottom. There is a bluish look to the blacks. We both looked through the threads and more tech savvy people claim it is the type of screen Apple is putting in them. It isn't to bad, but still noticeable. Oh well hopefully when I buy the new one next year they will have a better screen in them.

18. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I think the colors are fine. As with the 20" iMacs they have a poor viewing angle so you need to have a good ergonomic setup or you are going to get gradients and poor contrast in some places.

If you are using a notebook, you have to use a stand so you aren't looking down at it. (Not to mention the heat improvements it brings).