Aluminium Macbook battery problem!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by daisun, May 25, 2010.

1. daisun macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I have an Aluminium Macbook (non-pro) and its battery seems to be dying.

I've had it for 16 months and the battery has 192 cycles and its health is now 78% (it fluctuates a bit). Is this health normal for this amount of cycles and age?

Sometimes when running on battery, even though it says theres plenty of juice left, the laptop will turn off as if the battery has been pulled out. This doesn't happen all the time but when it does I am usually able to turn it back on, while still on battery, and see it boot up to the desktop, then die shortly after. If I check the battery level using the indicator on the left of the macbook (the green dots) it'll show a good amount of battery remaining.

I've had this happen to me recently and it wasn't able to turn back on. I plugged in the charger, turned it on and battery health was 0%. After an hr or so of being plugged it health went back to ~80%.

I really want to take this to the apple store and have them look at it. I'm pretty sure the battery is dying and will be dead soon. I'm also very worried that when I get there the battery will behave normally and I'll look like an idiot... what to do????:( Is this still covered under warranty?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Generally you're eligible for replacement if it falls below 80% capacity in 1 year or before 300 cycles, so you probably will have to buy a new battery. It's worth asking though- not like you have anything to lose.