Aluminium macbook died this morning :(

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Andrewge, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Andrewge macrumors newbie

Hi All!

My little Aluminium macbook died this morning (its a early 2009 edition).

I'm not worried about data on it (it's backed up on the servers at work), but I cant get it to respond *at all* to even find out what the problem is.

The macbook is totally unresponsive when pressing the power button though will charge and the battery indicator does display.

I read on the forums that by removing the battery/ magsafe and by holding the power button for 5-10 secs should clear any issues - but it hasnt.

Does anyone have any other tricks that can be used to try and bring it back to life before looking to replace the motherboard?

It's currently sitting on my office desk with the battery out and the power unplugged in the hopes it clears out everything before trying it again when I get home this evening.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. Lucky736 macrumors 6502a

Lucky736

Try this. Plug the unit in, put the battery in. Hold the power button down for 15-20 seconds, maybe more, until you hear a loud beep. Let go, it will probably start up at this point. ;-)

3. Andrewge thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info Lucky736 - i'll give it a go tonight when I get back from the office!

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I have the 2.4 one, still rocking, good luck.

5. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Yeah, good luck! If nothing happens post back :)

6. Lucky736 macrumors 6502a

Lucky736

7. Andrewge thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi guys, sorry for the lack of an update - been a real busy day at work.

I tried the holding down the button trick whilst it had battery/ AC connected and it did nothing :( so looks like either the power button is broken, or there is a more serious fault with the motherboard.

*really* annoying that there is just no way of telling what exactly has died in the laptop or that there was any warning it was going to happen - it hasn't been dropped / otherwise damaged and its spent most of its live in my office.

As i'm out of Apple warranty, I took it to our network administrator at work and he's going to send it off for repair.

I'm guessing the repair shop will come back with either something stupid like 'it was the power button', or they are going to want to replace something major like the motherboard.

Thanks for all your help anyway guys! - I really appreciate it!

If you do have any other last minute suggestions I can check before it goes away on Monday - feel free to post and i'll give them a go!

8. archipellago macrumors 65816

18 months for a premium laptop before major fault?

yep, seems about right for Apple.. :rolleyes:

9. Lucky736 macrumors 6502a

Lucky736