Aluminium MacBook Ethernet Marks + other problems

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by steve.balderson, Apr 8, 2009.

1. steve.balderson macrumors newbie

Im having a few issues with my aluminium unibody macbook, i will try and be brief but at the same time try and cover the issue. I will say however my macbook is now 3 months old.

Issue One: Ethernet port marks, i have only ever used my ethernet port once or twice and i seem to have marks around it. See attached photo, excuse the quality. As you can see on the aluminium above the port it shines oddly?

[​IMG]

Next issue: the silver spec. Under the glass about two inches right to the camera there is a silver spec which glares and shines all the time (very annoying). It was impossible to get a picture of this but it exists.

Last, but not least: two thin hairline scratches adjacent to each other in the left of the keyboard inset, next to the fn key.

Am i being moany? Or am i within my rights to contact apple about a replacement. I've searched the forum for this issue and found nothing matching my issues.

Thankyou for your time!

2. vilim12 macrumors regular

To me it seems like its marks from regular use, and they are all cosmetic most likely caused by you. You could go ahead and try and see what apple says, but you likely wont get far

3. steve.balderson thread starter macrumors newbie

the marks have been present since i bought the macbook, i just thought it would be silly complaining and something that didn't bother me, but it does.

Plus i have only used the ethernet port on this machine once or twice :(

4. vilim12 macrumors regular

Shoulve taken it back right when you got it if you noticed those problems

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Nothing you say or do will get Apple to issue a replacement for you. Like you said, it's a 3 month old MacBook so to Apple it's regular wear and tear. You will have a difficult time trying to convince them that you took extreme care and only used the ethernet port twice. There was a thread from a few months ago and discussed in the thread was whether or not to contact Apple for minor cosmetic defects. Something as obvious as those marks by the ethernet port should've been taken back rather than deciding whether or not it would annoy you.

Hate to be an ass but now you run the risk of not being covered under AppleCare if, say, something happens on the left side because of those two marks. Apple will see it and take it as damaged done to the computer. Obviously you can argue it (and most likely succeed) but you'll have wasted a lot of time trying to get Apple to repair any further damage.

6. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

is it effecting your use of the computer at all?
    I also have a unibody mbp. There are tiny nicks and scratches from regular use. These computers are built to withstand daily use and some wear and tear here and there, it's bound to get a few marks here and there.

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out why the Ethernet connector would scratch the alu like that.

I agree, I am very anal about getting scratches and nicks on my stuff but as long as they are light, they're pretty much inevitable on laptops.. unless you never use the damn thing... ;)