Aluminium MacBook issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Zephyrusuk, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Zephyrusuk, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

Zephyrusuk macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm wondering whether anybody can help in shedding some light in what may, or may not be wrong with my late 2008 aluminum unibody macbook?

Just to clarify early on, there is NO way the macbook has been in contact with water or any sort of humid conditions.

Basically it's suffering with a couple of issues, one being the screen has a permanent flickering line horizontally across the whole screen (thicker on the left) about 2 1/2 inches above the bottom. Ironically depending on the angle of the screen it can disappear (or when i hold the screen in a specific way). Does anybody have any idea what this could be? Also during the last couple of days the colour of the screen has been flashing purple albeit, rarely.

Another problem I'm having is when I've booted my macbook up, I can hear the fan whirring quietly but there's nothing on the screen, and there's also nothing on the keyboard (i.e. no backlight). After about ten minutes of consistent attempts of trying to reboot it, it worked. I successfully reset the PRAM and there's been no problems yet, although I won't hold my breath. I've also checked the memory and apparently it's running healthily.

The current spec of my machine is:-

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook5, 1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB51.007D.B03
    SMC Version (system): 1.40f2
    Serial Number (system): 739320d28QT
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

If anybody has any information, it'll be greatly appreciated, thanks! :)

It's also using a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M.

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Difficult to diagnose without taking a look firsthand. Off the top of my head...

Flickering Screen and the line across it - display problem. Flickering could be the inverter (if it has one?), the line points to a more serious problem with the panel itself.

Not sure on the boot problems. Could be worth reseating the RAM. Otherwise it's probably a duff logic board at which point the machine is basically a write off.

3. Zephyrusuk thread starter macrumors newbie

Ugh, it'll be infuriating if it is on it's last legs, I've only had it since late 2009. Although purchased directly from the Apple store it was a refurbished mac as far as I'm aware.

Thanks by the way.