Aluminium MacBook, need help choosing a display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by northy014, Oct 27, 2008.

1. northy014 macrumors regular

Hi, I am not particularly technical, so I kinda need help with this - it's probably quite obvious to some of you, but...

I just bought the new aluminium macbook, and I want to buy either a 15" or 17" lcd monitor for it. I could probably stretch to 19", but whatever.

However, I am not sure how to connect a monitor to the macbook - I heard that there is some new port on the macbook now, so could someone explain if regular monitors will work with it.

N.B. I can't afford to get an apple cinema display - beautiful... but well overpriced.:(

Thanks.

2. northy014 thread starter macrumors regular

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

Careful with the VGA one. It seems people are having issues with Samsung monitors from the reviews on the Apple store page. Good luck with the setup!

4. futuremac macrumors member

I personally don't think its economical going for anything less than a 22" LCD.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I have seen ViewSonic 20" monitors for about $200. Don't waste your money on a 15" external monitor for a 13.3" MacBook. Also, don't waste your time on the old VGA/D-Sub only monitors. Digital, duuude. Just search around and you can find a good 20" monitor for under $200. You can probably find a no-name for about $150.

What the people above told you is correct. You need a $30 adapter between the MB's new port and either VGA or DVI, depending on the monitor you get. Wait until you buy the monitor to pick one of those out.