Aluminium matched Di Noc Vinyl?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by helios16v, Nov 14, 2012.

1. helios16v, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012

helios16v macrumors regular

I have a Non-Unibody MacBook Pro with a broken super drive and I guess the previous owner tried to remove there disc by force resulting in the top portion of aluminum snapped right off. I was playing with the idea of buying a new bottom case off of eBay and replacing the broken super drive but since this is just a project laptop I don't care too much about I figured I would see if anyone knows where I can locate some identical or as close to OEM aluminum texture Di Noc vinyl I can use to wrap the entire bottom of the notebook with.

I figure I'll work the cracked area down and build up a block plate out of some old aluminium sheet metal I have laying around, then fill it in with an alloy wheel compound used for filling curb rash marks in alloy car wheels. That should give me a nice smooth surface over the DVD drive slot that I can use to cover up with Di Noc vinyl of the smae OEM aluminum finish to make the laptop look like there was never a drive there to begin with of which I would replace the broken super drive with a dual HDD mod.

The cloest I found to eye would be this one by 3M but I don't know if that'll match up properly, has anyone else done anything like this and could tell me what vinyl you used?

[​IMG]
    (click the picture to go to the website)

2. fakebreakr macrumors newbie

Probably not exactly what you are looking for, but checkout iCarbon skins. I've got the aluminum skin fit my rMBP (top and bottom) and its a pretty good match. Its made of the same 3m vinyl wrap.

Good luck join your project and make sure you take pics.

3. helios16v thread starter macrumors regular

Do you mean this site?
    http://www.icarbons.com/

I just googled what you said and that's what came up but they don't have the OEM aluminum texture, just brushed aluminum and then some other patterns and stuff.

I'm thinking when I'm going to start this project I'll contact 3M directly to see what they say. Still interested if anyone else knows where I can find the OEM Mac aluminum style for Vinyl or Di Noc.

4. beeda macrumors newbie

did you ever end up doing this? would love to see how well it matched. thinking about wrapping my monitor bezel.