aluminium MB ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by faber2001, Feb 17, 2008.

1. faber2001 macrumors newbie

is there likely to see an aluminium macbook any time soon ?

how much will it cost ?

and something else; what is your best guess for the Ghz in the

next Macbook update ? will we see 2.4 Ghz any time soon ?

thanks

2. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Aluminum MacBooks will probably come out in the summer. MacBooks are the only plastic Mac products left. And if Apple wants to get on GreenPeace's good side, they'll have to get rid of the plastic.

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Unlikely as it would narrow the perceived gap between the consumer and pro models, but the only people who would know would be Apple, and they're not telling...

How do you expect anyone here to know? Generally, the prices in any given range tend to remain fairly stable, but your guess is as good as anyone else's

There are uncounted threads on here covering this stuff already. All of them free of anything but wild-ass guessing, but that's all there is until Apple tells us what they're going to release. How about doing a forum search next time? :rolleyes:

4. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

I wouldn't be too surprised to see Aluminum macbooks painted white and black. I wouldn't be surprised to see many color choices, like the old iMacs or current nano's either.

5. Luzzio macrumors regular

Luzzio

A colored MB actually sounds fathomable, but the Apple logo might remain white.

I agree, it would definitely do its best to visually differentiate itself from Apple's pro-line.

6. Wireless Buddy macrumors regular

Arg, I like white Apple stuff. To me, that's the icon of :apple:.

I might get a used video iPod on eBay instead of an iPod Classic because I want white, not silver aluminum.

7. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

The iPods and iMacs are aluminum and both are consumer products. Then again, they could also be considered pro products. And, well, so can the MacBook.

This line people draw between consumer and pro is dumb.

8. Luzzio macrumors regular

Luzzio

Both are capable of doing the exact same things, just at different speeds.

But it's marketed as the Macbook and Macbook PRO, so you can't blame the masses for labeling it that way.

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

No.
    Aluminum would reduce the weight of the macbook too much. The MBA would become nearly unsellable (why pay $1800 for a 3lb laptop when you can get a 4lb or less laptop for $1100).

In addition, aluminum has been the hallmark of the "pro" notebook series for quite a few years now. Plastic has generally been reserved for the "consumer notebook" like the iBook and Macbook.
    Apple doesn't like to change pricing too often, so if the macbooks ever do see aluminum, I'd imagine them staying the same in pricing (though that could change if they are dramatically revamped-though I don't think that's going to happen).
    They have to be less than or equal to the mbps, so use this as your metric.
    Otherwise, only time will tell.
    Based on what?
    Except for the Mighty Mouse, Airport, or any number of smaller Apple accessories right? ;)
    I think you're referring to PVC, which the macbook case is NOT made of. PVC is an internal component, not a component of the case.

Unless Greenpeace has some new demands.
    You mean like Clamshell iBooks? ;)

I think Apple is done with that. iPods are different because they're small and don't represent the Mac lineup.