Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you buy Aluminum and Titanium AirPods?

• Take My Money!

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Not Worth It

Votes: 24 68.6%

• Total voters

Hazmat401

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
Delaware County, Pa
Apple introduces the all new 2020 "Aluminum AirPods" in Space grey and White Gold and "Airpod Pro Titanium"

Starting at $499 and $799

Though there are some members that are willing to overlook some of the quality issues the AirPods seem to have.... Most of the elitist on macrumors who continues to hold Apple to some "luxury higher standard" aren't putting up with it especially at that price point.... $199-$250 ain't cheap!

At the same time you can only do so much with plastic

Thought I bought some for my significant other... I elected not to buy any AirPods for myself because I don't see the plastic holding up.... thinking back to the White MacBooks, its only a matter of time until it cracks. Although I do have Powerbeats Pro's... which in my opinion has better build quality than any of the AirPods

I definitely see apple shifting AirPods from plastic to metal... its evitable

Question is.... Are you willing to pay hundreds more?

Last edited:

Hazmat401

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
Delaware County, Pa
I personally don't see it happening

Look at it this way.... AirPods is a Hugh success. Apple obviously wants this to be a continuous cash flow

What more can Apple do after the release of the Pro's besides incremental battery updates? Going from poly to metal is the only choice ??‍♂️

faust

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'd be more interested in seeing the battery life extended out than anything else. It's not really great for the price you're paying. I could get a pair of Beats Studio 3 for $170 right now from Best Buy, and what I actually use are a set of nigh immortal Sony 1000mx3 wireless headphones. They have a great battery life and are just an unmitigated joy to use.

Reactions: Five_Oh

Toratek

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
A metal case for the sake of metal is boring. Magnesium IEM cases are prone to corrosion and aluminum or steel is heavy.

What would be interesting might be a true “pro” unit with a combination of two balanced armature drivers and a dynamic driver, with a replaceable battery system and a choice of tip materials and configurations. Priced around the $500-700 mark, it would find traction in the high level enthusiast market.

Realistically, however, this market is already serviced by the likes of Shure SE535 or 846 with the BT2 cable.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
What more can Apple do after the release of the Pro's besides incremental battery updates?

Better audio quality. More squeeze options. More colour options.

The plastic isn’t that fragile & it’s light - you’ll notice the heavier metal buds in your ears & it may impact the Bluetooth range & H1 chip speed performance when switching between devices.

Personally don’t see a reason why they’d make this cosmetic change when it doesn’t bring anything to the table, functionality-wise.

Reactions: deadworlds

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
The plastic AirPods are already slicker than snot - especially when you perspire. Now imagine that with metal.

PhoenixDown

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Nice idea up until you need to replace them in its entirety because the battery died and cannot be replaced.

Or it gets outdated like the original 14k gold apple watches.

PhoenixDown

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Isn’t that the same deal with the current Airpods - you can’t replace the batteries in the plastic either.

Yes -- but $200 is not the same as $800 or whatever these will cost for most of us. Not that I like that either btw.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Though there are some members that are willing to overlook some of the quality issues the AirPods seem to have.... Most of the elitist on macrumors who continues to hold Apple to some "luxury higher standard" aren't putting up with it especially at that price point.... $199-$250 ain't cheap!

At the same time you can only do so much with plastic

Thought I bought some for my significant other... I elected not to buy any AirPods for myself because I don't see the plastic holding up.... thinking back to the White MacBooks, its only a matter of time until it cracks. Although I do have Powerbeats Pro's... which in my opinion has better build quality than any of the AirPods

I definitely see apple shifting AirPods from plastic to metal... its evitable

Question is.... Are you willing to pay hundreds more?

It’s NOT going to be metal. Earbuds especially true wireless ones need to be light not heavy .... the time these turn metal pigs will be flying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.