Aluminum Apple Remote and ATV4?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by TWO2SEVEN, Dec 23, 2015.

1. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Thinking about moving our ATV3 to the bedroom and buying a 4. Can the remote from the 2 and 3 be used with the 4? I'd rather not have my son using the morning expensive remote. :)

Thanks!

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

3. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Thank you!

4. MacUser09 macrumors regular

Not only does it work, but IMHO it is better. OK no Siri, but the clicks are more positive, and it doesn't react at the slightest inadvertent touch as the "touchpad" does. I actually prefer to use my old remote with my ATV 4.

5. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

If you want the search field to be the older grid style then you'll need to use the older ATV3 remote.

Do NOT touch the new (Siri/glass) remote afterward, or the grid style search field will go away.

6. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

You can change this in the Settings. Turn on "Reduce Motion".

7. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Not only does it work, but it was the only way I could setup my Apple TV 4. I had to borrow the old remote off my uncle as I was away visiting family and had time to set it up and play with it. When booting it up multiple times, it wouldn't connect to the new BT remote. It just jumped straight to the country selection screen. Tried holding down the buttons to re-pair, tried charging the remote for hours. Nothing worked until I tried the old remote. Was able to use it to complete setup and boom, the thing connects like it's no big deal. As a tech person I was really scratching my head over this one for a while, so I can't imagine what a normal person would do—especially if they don't have an old one. I didn't have a USB-C cable to connect it to my MBP to fix it that way but that old IR remote did the trick!