Aluminum back plate for 4s?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by GaresTaylan, Oct 29, 2011.

1. GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone. Does anyone know of any replacement plates for the back glass that have a brushed aluminum look to it like the band? This would be for a 4s.

2. GaresTaylan thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I really like the choices on these back plates. Is it easy to interchange these rear plates myself? Does it come with a screwdriver? Very nice.

4. lazybee macrumors member

Cnn.cn does not send along a screwdriver..but you can order a pentalobe screwdriver that will do the job off amazon for under $1. Very easy swap. Two screws, a small push on the back and lift off. Reverse procedure for installation. Check youtube for a video on how to, makes it even easier.

5. bl00per macrumors member

I saw a review for one of these that says it affected the camera, among other problems, can someone comment on that?

6. Mr. G macrumors member

I've seen reviews reporting two problems on the camera:

1) An older review said the back plate eventually loosened up and blocked part of the camera lens. Since then, it appears cnn.cn replaced the plastic posts on the back plates with metals ones that should enhance durability.

2) The flash will be affected by the replacement back plate. I don't believe the flash lens on the replacement plate has a diffuser on it; THOUGH you can buy a replacement flash diffuser off of cnn.cn for $2.50.

I ordered a stainless steel back plate and flash diffuser for my iPhone 4 off of cnn.cn yesterday and hope to receive them in the next week or 2.

7. bl00per macrumors member

8. hizzaah macrumors 6502

from the site:
    [QUTOE]Please note, the camera lens and camera flash lens are included and already installed[/QUOTE]

do we still need to order a diffuser? I placed my order there back on the 24th and it's still pending. they've had my money for a week now..

9. bl00per macrumors member

Yeah you need to order a diffuser, its like 2-3 bucks, something like that...

10. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

These look awesome! I want to get one of the gunmetal backs with the black apple logo. Would look bad ass on my white iPhone!

11. hizzaah macrumors 6502

Is anyone else having issues getting cnn.cn to ship their order? Or is it just me lol..

12. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Is there a difference between the 4 back covers and the 4S ones? Can the iPhone 4 ones on Amazon be used on the 4S or has there be some sort of design change on these?

13. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I just had a Help Chat with cnn.cn and I wanted to post it here so it may help someone else out. I was confused between two particular back plates for the 4S...the Silver and Silver Diamond Cut. I wanted to know the difference and this is what they said.

Sales says:
    Welcome to Live Help, how are you today?
    Cory says:
    Hi. I was wondering if you can tell me the difference between two back plates for the iPhone 4S?
    Sales says:
    which one?
    Cory says:
    What's the difference between the Apple iPhone 4S back cover with metal insert - silver and the Apple iPhone 4S diamond cut black back cover with metal insert - silver?
    Sales says:
    The edge of diamond cut is silver.
    Cory says:
    Ok, thank you. That's what I needed to know. And these will definitely fit the 4S, correct?
    Cory says:
    Also, would I need to order the flash diffuser or does the back plate come with that piece?
    Sales says:
    yes!
    Sales says:
    they just included the camera lens but not the diffuser.
    Cory says:
    Ok, thank you very much!

You'll also notice, as others have said, that you WILL need to order the diffuser for the flash, as the back plates don't come with it. I made sure to ask specifically if these will work with the 4S and as you can see, they gave me an emphatic "yes!" LOL.

So I guess I'm gonna take my chances and order one up (with the diffuser). We'll see if it works out in the end. At $16 bucks, it's not that big of a gamble anyway. :D

14. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I am excited for you! Let us know how it turns out... Also I'm curious if these mess with reception... Read that some did on the 4. But it could be better now since the 4s is supposed to have better antenna system.

15. Camdz macrumors newbie

I really want one of the silver back replacements. Im worried that it wont match well with the metal already on the phone though, and wonder how bad it scratches over time. I go naked, and would prefer to not put a protector on it.

16. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

If I order one of these, I'm probably going to go with the silver version. Originally, I wanted the gunmetal, but I'm going to pair it up with the silver SGP Neo Hybid GX bumper.

My view is this on these back plates...I could care less if they get scratched up. I can always put the stock glass back on there when the time comes to sell and it'll be in pristine shape (I currently have a clear back protector on it under my Otterbox Commuter).

I'll probably be ordering later this week.

17. hizzaah macrumors 6502

I ordered the gunmetal.. I hope it looks nice with whatever case I end up with

18. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Go naked!

19. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

So the CDMA version did not fit 100% onto my 4S. It goes on okay, but does not slide down completely. Definitely order one for the 4S.

Anyone want my CDMA version?

20. alptkz macrumors newbie

alptkz

Hi guys.

Just a thing to mention. I've had the black metal back cover for my iPhone 4 and altough I liked the look and feel, the metal is not very durable. The white logo and text starts fading out eventually. I ended up removing the logo completely with nail polish remover (very easy to do). The brushed effect wears off as well after several months and it becomes smoother. Also the metal is not very strong and gets bumps (metal not flat anymore) here and there.

It's cheap so it might not be an issue, but worth knowing. Also, as some have said, the iPhone 4 covers are not compatible with the 4S.

For my 4S, I'm considering the Leaf adhesive metal covers seen here: http://shop.iamleaf.com/