Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
since you guys who have new a powerbook 15 in aluminum, i need to ask some questions for help... here goes. I've noticed that in a zero noise enviroment like my study, I experienced hearing harddrive wirrs and clicks. However, i remember having a dual g4 quick silver tower in my room and when that was on the noise from the fan and such it was loud enough that i couldn't hear the harddrive wirr and click. or when the vent is blasting in my room, the harddrive clicks are gone as well. my question is, am i being paranoid or is this normal? plus, when i was playing quake 3 arena on full rez, and there comes a noise from my powerbook, i think it might be the fan that comes on when it gets hot, but i dunno for sure...ideas?

1gh G4 Aluminum Powerbook
15"
256x2 apple/hynix ddr ram
26g (free) /60g 4200rpm stock apple HD

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i have a rev a. 12" powerbook and i think what you are hearing is just normal hard drive activity along with the fan comming on when playing quake III......however if your harddrive can be heard over your fan or whatever then i might get that checked out because the harddrive isnt supposed to be too loud...u know?

good luck

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
The "Whirr" is most likely the fan coming on. I suggest you grab ThermographX off of VersionTracker or MacUpdate and look for the peaks. Those will be found at about the point when the fan comes on. I like looking back to see if I can figure out what I was doing, like playing a game, watching a movie, or letting SETI@Home run.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
the noise that comes on when you are playing games is definatly the fan, mine does it. with regards to the hard drive noise i think it is normal as mine does it also!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.