Aluminum case MacPro's. How do you clean the exterior?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Korican100, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Korican100 macrumors 6502a

Korican100

Does anyone have any tips on how to clean the outside of a Mac Pro. Can I use regular cleaning stuff?

Or, for example, special stainless steel spray is needed?
    Selling my MacPro3,1, and I want to shine it up.
    Thanks.

2. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I always use a clean towel or washcloth with a 50/50 mixture of water and rubbing alcohol. Obviously not soaking wet, just barely damp. Take it outside so it will dry quickly and go to town.

3. NOTNlCE macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

When I first picked up my 1,1 it was destroyed and filthy with dust/dirt/cigarette smoke, I used windex and paper towels for the nitty gritty scrubbing, but a towel or something a bit more durable is good as well.

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

The Mac Pro is aluminum so why do you think you would need stainless steel cleaner for it?

5. Korican100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Korican100

I saw a youtube video in which the person used Stainless Steel cleaner. The video was bad, but I wanted to get clarification here. I've heard weirder solutions for simpler problems.

6. Alphabetize macrumors 6502

Alphabetize

I would use a damp microfiber cleaning cloth.

7. ScottishCaptain macrumors 6502a

Microfibre cloth and some water.

Costco used to (possibly still does?) sell decent automotive cleaning cloths that were "microfibre-ish" in nature. It was a big bag for like $20 that came with 10 yellow cloths and 10 blue cloths (no difference, just the colour). I've usually got a bag of those hanging around, I'll soak one under water, wring it out and use it to wipe down my machine case then immediately follow up with a dry cloth to get rid of any extra moisture.

I wouldn't recommend using any kind of cleaning chemical at all. Some will melt plastic, and others may leave a residue behind or potentially damage the aluminum. Unless you've got a reason to use something stronger, water should be just fine.

-SC

8. DPUser macrumors 6502a

Power wash, followed up with a mineral bath and thorough sandblasting

or a little Windex.

9. AppleP59 macrumors 6502

I can just imagine Jony saying that.

[​IMG]

10. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

I just use a soft cloth for the outside. Like the one that came with my mbp. And an air pressure spray for the inside. But mine was purchased new, I always took good care of it and it has always been standing on my desk, so it never got that dirty.

11. jenzjen macrumors 68000

12. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

Compressed air and a cloth for the inside.

Damp paper towel/damp cloth for the outside.

13. Draeconis macrumors 6502a

Along the same lines, has anyone ever tried to clean the internal hard drive sleds? They're real fingerprint magnets. Same kind of thing?

14. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Yep. I normally don't remove the sleds to wipe their front. Just take a cotton cloth and dab it with a couple drops of water. As long as you are just cleaning the lip of the sled it won't hurt anything.

15. cohen777 macrumors regular

Lightly moist bounty towel with either rubbing alcohol or ammonia. Medical alcohol wipes work too.

16. Korican100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Korican100

17. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

I second the Magic Eraser stuff (melamine foam) - it is cheaper to buy it in the larger packs rather than the small, pre-cut ones. You wet it, shake the excess off and wipe it over the surface without scrubbing.

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you're referring to the classic design, I've never cleaned mine.

I've cleaned the inside in multiple occasions, but never found the need to clean the outside.

19. FluJunkie macrumors 6502a

Cleaned up a regrettable polyurethane spill onto the MP yesterday using a paper towel with acetone on it with no particularly ill effects.

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

For anyone with the new Mac Pro, do you feel somehow the new design doesn't seem to attract any dust at all?

My new place is particularly dusty with all the construction going around (my consoles are like dust magnets), but the new Mac Pro doesn't seem to collect any dust. And I was worried about dust collecting in the top, but with the vent and hot air, nothing collects.