aluminum cases - how effective are they?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by silent1643, Oct 20, 2011.

1. silent1643 macrumors member

i get the look and all but metal on metal doesn't really sound like much protection if you drop the phone - wouldn't the metal case just rub agianst the metal casing of the iphone and do some kind of damage?
    make sence to have some sort of rubberized coating on the inside of these cases right?

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

you know from apple laptops that aluminum dents
    Yes it would make sense to line it with rubber. Allthough that would cost more to manufacture, and companies always try to cut costs.

3. bighabeeb macrumors 6502

Well, I'll say this (I use an atomic hybrid, with the one aluminum side). I've dropped the thing a good number of times, including on the aluminum side, and it has most certainly dented. The good thing is that the damage did NOT go through to my phone - I'd imagine that all the alum's would be similar (vapor, e13ctron etc) but don't know from experience.

4. neko-hun-jyata macrumors newbie

Even if a metal case protects the phone during a fall, depending on the surface it strikes you could end up with sharp/jagged edges on the metal casing. Aluminum obviously a good lightweight choice of metals, but it's also soft and easy to damage. Thus even if the phone is protected in the fall, you may end up with a case that you can't use anymore.

5. jwilcox09 macrumors member

jwilcox09

Good points. I didn't really think of that, but will definitely reconsider a case now. I wish there were more (cheaper) titanium cases.