Aluminum Casing VS Stainless Steel

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Delorean2006, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Delorean2006 macrumors 6502a

I have a question about the AW Series 2 I am going to get, I am a very active person who works out a lot, hikes and bike rides a lot. I am getting an AW for those functions also for work as well where I have to rely heavily on my phone. The AW has a lot of great features that suits my daily life very well, I want to know about honestly the durability of the casing and the screen. I know the casing will get scratched more on the Space Black Stainless steel, but that doesn't bother, its the getting chipped is what I'm worried about but mostly the screen is what I am more curious about. I know that the Sapphire Crystal is extremely durable but is it worth spending the extra $200 to just get the Sapphire Crystal over the ION-X glass for my daily use?

2. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

The aluminum dents/scratches way more easily than the steel, at least in watches. Getting sapphire cristal is worthy the extra money.

3. marbla macrumors newbie

marbla

On the other hand I'd argue that it is a commodity that will likely be outdated in a few years. For the uptick on the SS you can almost buy another aluminum watch. Plus the screen is brighter being more transmissible that sapphire.

4. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Which probably becomes a non-issue with the 1000 nits the new display chucks out.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I'm in this mindset. Bought aluminum. Bought a screen shield. Done and done.

Shield isn't perfect but I bet you can't tell it's there in this pic...
    image.jpg

6. Vihzel macrumors 6502

If you're someone who works out a lot outdoors, I would recommend the aluminum because of the less reflective screen and lighter weight. For 42mm, the S2 AW SS is 52.4g while the S2 AW Alum is 34.2g. While it may not seem like much on tech specs, you definitely notice the weight difference. As someone who works out almost everyday, it was getting pretty annoying feeling like I had a weight on my wrist. The alum feels very lightweight and much more suited to the active person.

This is coming from someone who has the SS S0 (which is a tad lighter than the SS S2) and Sport S2.

7. MarkB786 macrumors 6502

I would string recommend the SS. Comparing my 18-month old SS to his 18-month old aluminium is very telling. His screen has scratches and his watch has lots of nicks. Mine is still nearly perfect (some scuffing, etc. but nowhere near is AL version).

8. Vihzel macrumors 6502

That doesn't really say much considering the watches are being used by two different people. I know there have been many others on the forums saying that their S0 Alum are still in great condition. My S0 SS got some pretty deep scratches and a lot of micro-abrasions, but thankfully, the micro-abrasions could be buffed out and the deep scratches turn into really shallow scratches but not fully gone.

I did enjoy not having to worry about any scratches on the screen of the S0. A screen protector for my S2 Alum should solve that issue.

9. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

If you're going to very active with your watch and not just use it at home and an office I'd highly recommend the sapphire screen. Or learn to be okay with the scuffs.

10. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I bought SS... be aware that there is an upward limit on resale prices so if you plan to sell yours to pay for the new one you will be losing a lot of value vs. the aluminum models.

11. Delorean2006 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The weight alone is a big factor. I did not even realize it was that big of a difference between the two models. I will be getting the 42mm model because it fits better for me.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2016 ---
    i'm honestly okay with the scuffs on the casing, the screen is honestly what I would be most worried about between gym workouts and cycling and hiking, i want to make sure the screen will not break or scratch as easily. I do have multiple watches with sapphire on them and have used them and the screen still looks new.

12. malandra macrumors regular

I went with the SBSS for really no other reason than the fact that it was available now and not in a few weeks. Glass is nicer on the SS, but lighter weight is arguably better. If weight is a big factor, I'm sure there's a screen protector for the Alum that you wouldn't hate...

13. gugy, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016

gugy macrumors 68030

I rather go with the aluminum. My rationale is that is not worth to invest too much money on AW. It seems every two years we will get a good leap on updates and ideally, I will be upgrading it. Next update should be better battery life and maybe thinner watch. Right there for me is enough reason to get a newer one and sell my old and recoup part of the investment.
    This logic for me don't apply for regular watches. I did for example spend quite a bit on my Omega Seamaster but, it was worth because still a classic watch and it has been almost 20 years of use without any problems. On a gadget like AW, I would rather spend the least possible.

14. rishiomedia macrumors member

Aluminum is lighter, looks nicer, and wears better than steel. It's a more humble, matte look. I also prefer ION glass over sapphire because it's brighter and doesn't crack as easily as sapphire. Ion does scratch easier but scratches don't bother me as much as cracks? Luckily, the one I like costs less!

15. Mac Addict macrumors member

Mac Addict

if you have the extra coin and go for SS, if you're in a pinch get the Aluminum. The watch works the same either way. I went back and forth, got the SS and I don't regret the decision. A buddy of mine has the sport and it's nearly impossible to tell the difference (both are black).

16. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

No one who took a haircut on SS resale last time around would recommend one. Buy the cheapest variant, you'll be chucking it in a couple of years.

17. Vihzel macrumors 6502

Likely even next year when it is likely that Apple will come up with a slight redesign (thinner).

18. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

I would opt for the SS model given your activities and screen wear. it will also be nice when/if you're required to dress up.

19. Delorean2006 thread starter macrumors 6502a

to be honest I don't care about resale when it comes to the watch because I just want to use it and keep it. If it was an iphone I would care but I don't want to get rid of it, I plan on "using" it.

20. Vihzel macrumors 6502

I'd say my best recommendation would be to go with the style watch that you are most interested in and see how you feel about it within the return period. If you don't like it, then you can return it. Obviously, you should be careful with your usage if you end up wanting to return it.

Try out the SS in the store and see how it feels on your wrist.

21. leenak macrumors 68020

I love the matte look and I definitely want something that is lighter. I bought apple care. If the screen gets scratched, I'll have it fixed. I had my last AW in a drawer more than I wore it but I never scratched the screen.

22. Jetfire macrumors 6502

That's what I thought too. Until I went to sell my original one. I got a 42mm Silver SS on launch day and have worn it almost every day since. I work on Air Conditioners and I'm sticking my arm in a lot of tight spaces. The case is scratched upped but the sapphire display is spotless. I maybe able to get $200 for it on Ebay about the same price for the sport model. I spent $821 on it since I got Apple Watch 42mm Stainless Steel Case with Black Classic Buckle with Apple care.

I'm going to wait until they go on sale like the did last year at the holidays. If I can't get a good deal on the Stainless Steel model. I'll get the aluminum one and save the money. I can get Silver Aluminum Case with White Sport Band for $427 without Apple Care vs $641 for the SS model. The resell value changes that $200+ difference to $400.

The thing that killed the resell value watch third party sales with up to $200 off and the new Series one. Now you can get a new faster watch for $300. Right now I can buy a New first gen SS Black watch with Milanese Loop band at Best Buy for $249. That's $749 watch.

23. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

best buy has the 42mm SS for $349 right now with a black leather loop. just bought one earlier today. taxes and AC+ came out to $430.

btw, i may PM you with some A/C questions.

24. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Bought the SS Gen1 on launch and still looks like new. Not a single mark on the sapphire and any scratches I picked up on the case were buffed out with a Cape Cod cloth. Was briefly tempted to go SBSS this time but the SS looks best with all straps, and I have a fair collection! So Series 2 SS it was for me.