Aluminum Corrosion Problem Fixed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by DrumApple, Oct 5, 2012.

1. DrumApple macrumors 6502

I'm in the market for a new laptop after selling my '06 (maybe early '07) Macbook Pro. On my MBP, I had the aluminum corrosion issue on the case, mostly where your palm rests. It looks like little scratches and discoloration and it is unrepairable. This really, really, aggravated me (seeing how much $$ I shelled out) but I lived with it. And with some quick searching online you'll see many other people have had this issue as well.

I'm wondering if this problem has been addressed or fixed? Did they change the aluminum or material to prevent this? I refuse to buy any kind of accessory like a palm rest guard etc. My hands do tend to get a little damp after a while but nothing too unusual.

2. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Yeah it's all good I think(!) - I've had 2 MBP's over the last two years with heavy usage and there's not a mark on them :)

I'm getting an Air next month though. They really upped their spec this year and I love the form factor.

3. fleawannabe macrumors regular

I think it really depends on the chemicals in your body, I may not make it "dip" but you might. I bought the Moshi PalmGuard for mine, works well.

4. Canaan macrumors member

Did you never clean yours? I've had mine for 3 years and had no issues of that kind despite grossly heavy use. I clean my laptop every 2-3 days though as I hate dirty electronics though so that may have been a factor.

5. atMac macrumors 6502

My 08 aluminum Macbook had that issue, but my Air has not had any signs of it.

6. jbzcar macrumors regular

+1 on the Moshi PalmGuard. :cool: