Aluminum External Enclosure (SuperDrive)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dhelsdon, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Hi,

I know this has been asked before, but I am doing it again because every answer I saw wasn't very clear. I want to get an aluminum enclosure for my SuperDrive.

I saw this one on MaxUpgrades, and in the details it says it's CNC machined.
    I am about to purchase this, just wondering if anyone has any experience with this enclosure, if so could you give a quick review of it?

I want to make sure I find one that looks like an Apple drive (without spending 80$ to buy a new MBA drive) I am very OCD about the looks and I want to make sure the finish matches my MBP.

Thanks!

2. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

that is very expensive! I don't know about spending that much just for a case because it's aluminum, but I like it too.

I was under the impression the MBA superdrives wouldn't work on the newer MBP's. if that is true then sure, I'd buy it. But if not, just buy the apple superdrive.

3. Dhelsdon thread starter macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I've heard the same thing about the MBA drive not functioning 100% with MacBook Pro's. In all honesty i'd rather buy an enclosure because I'll be using a drive caddy so i'll have the optical drive anyway so buying the apple drive wouldn't make sense anyway.

4. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

nice sales pitch. I'm convinced and I added it to my cart. Have you bought anything from them before?

5. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I've had threads on here documenting my problem regarding a SuperDrive enclosure and the one problem I always had are enclosures with only one USB connector. For some reason one USB connection isn't enough and requires two, at least the ones that I've tried. The best one I've tried is the OWC enclosure, it's black and slim and made for the SuperDrive.

6. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

OWC slim superdrive enclosure

I think that is a way better option, but the OP wants a nice aluminum one. Since I hardly use it I think I am going to order the OWC one as well, along with 16GB of RAM ;)

7. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

I have one of these kits in my MBP 15" and it works great. The DVD drive enclose is not aluminum however, it is plastic. Still it is a nice enclosure and works perfectly with just one usb port on my MBP. I would recommend this kit 100%

just noticed that the text about CNC on the website must be referring to the hard drive cradle/bracket and not the DVD enclosure.