Aluminum Finish Issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Duncanator, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Duncanator macrumors 6502

Duncanator

This is going to be nit picky and since everything else is flawless, I will not be exchanging but I was curious if anyone else had a blemish on their aluminum band? Near my charge port, there is a spot where it looked like wet paint ran during the manufacturing process? Sounds weird but I do not know the process so I am comparing it to that. Anyone else have something similar?

2. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

A pic would be helpful here to explain it better. But I don't have what you describe.

3. blairian89 macrumors 6502

blairian89

I agree - a picture would be very helpful to show what you're talking about.

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Sounds like something happened during the manufacturing process or a defect with the aluminum perhaps. At least you have the option of exchanging it.

5. Duncanator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duncanator

Crappy picture as it was difficult to get a good one with my wife’s phone. The spot is above the screw on the right of the charge port. [​IMG]

6. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

Looks like a scratch, but could have happened during production if you received it like that. Mine doesn't have that, guess it is up to you if it bothers you or not.

7. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Is it a bubble in the finish, or do you see bare aluminum?

If it looks like a clear residue aka glue, try wiping it gently with a soft microfiber cloth and isopropyl alcohol. I had a similar residue on mine that would not come off at first, but a gentle rub with a eyeglass cleaner wipe came right off.

8. Duncanator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duncanator

No bare aluminum. I have not dropped it at all but it does kind of appear to be slick like a residue. I tried picking it with my finger but it will not come up. I’ll try your tip when I get home from Walmart.

9. Duncanator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duncanator

That’s what I thought too but I do not see bare aluminum. Plus it’s never been dropped.

10. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

Don't pick at it anymore or rub anything on it or anything like that. Take it back and have them evaluate it first, this way they can't say you did anything to cause the issue.

11. Jawnathin macrumors 6502

Could be a minor scratch, enough to tarnish the upper level of the finish but not enough to expose the aluminum. Think of a scratch that only gets through the paint and not the primer. That area is exposed so you never know what could have happened.

I agree with fr4c to try a microfiber with rubbing alcohol. Won't hurt it.

12. Duncanator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duncanator

FYI...the alcohol and microfiber cloth worker! It was some sort of residue!