Aluminum Finish Worries

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smallnshort247, Jul 6, 2011.

1. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

Hey all,

So I have a 2010 15 inch MBP. I've kept it in extremely good condition since I've had it, but I'm starting to notice a little problem. I think some of the aluminum finish may be coming off or breaking down. The only place where I'm noticing this issue is where I usually rest the palm of my left hand when typing. My hands can get pretty sweaty at times, causing me to have to wipe down my MBP every other week or so to keep it clean. Lately when wiping off some of the sweat residue, it's as if the part where my hand rests is a lighter color than the rest of the aluminum. It looks kind of dried out or something. After about 15-20 minutes of it drying, it finally blends in with the rest of the aluminum color. So what's going on?

I'll try to provide pictures later. When I clean my MBP I just wipe it down with a rag and a damp cloth.. then I dry it. Just recently I also tried a little soap just to see if that would take off any of the bad residue, but I don't think it helped at all. Are there any products I can buy specifically for cleaning my aluminum MBP? Thanks

2. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

I think that's perfectly normal, at least in that it's happened to me too

3. csimmers04 macrumors newbie

power support has a good protection pack for MBPs that comes with a palm rest guard

4. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Let's just say it's getting a 'worn' look due to its use (constant friction and dampness).. completely normal, consequence of use.

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

I hate that worn look... unfortunately I cannot help it.

6. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

This is a common issue, although the degree to which the silver powder coating (a type of paint) chips off has lessened somewhat with the unibodies. It used to happen all the time with the "Classic" style MBPs and Powerbooks.

You'll probably notice it a lot more on the edges than in the center of the palm rests.