Aluminum frame + TPU layer: signal loss?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by c0venant, Jun 15, 2014.

1. c0venant macrumors regular

I was thinking of buying this new case but I'm worried it will affect my phone's signal. Does anyone with similar cases (with a rubber layer in-between) experience signal loss?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KVRAVMY/

2. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

Interesting.

Verus (also a Korean company) seems to be unabashedly cloning some of Spigen's products. A Neo Hybrid with an Al bumper.

I'd never heard of them before I saw some links here. Anybody know how long they've been around?

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I had a full metal case for my iPhone 4 - really killed the signal, was 2 bars better as soon as you took it off.

4. c0venant thread starter macrumors regular

I too noticed they are very similar, it's just that I like this one better (the back). If the phone's signal weren't/isn't a problem I'd definitely pick this one.

I know there are problems with full metal cases, I'd just like to know if people experience them with cases where you have a rubber layer in-between.

5. sophiamendezzz1 macrumors regular

http://www.amazon.com/Verus-Aluminu...2105&sr=8-1&keywords=verus+iron+shield+iphone

I think you're talking about this one? I think it also looks pretty nice but I guess we're going to have to see once it's actually available. I'd like to see a review on it compared to the neo hybrid :)

6. c0venant thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone already bought this one? would love a review :)

7. Jalopybox, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014

Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

Any metal case will degrade your signal-even if the metal is not in direct contact with the phone. Same as stepping into a metal building-bye bye signal.

8. tundra12 macrumors newbie

I was about to buy an aluminum bumper for my phone but now after reading this I having second thoughts.

Is there an app that shows signal strength so I can test?

9. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

I've owned over 10 metal cases and it doesn't matter whats in between, you will lose signal.

10. RafixPhoenix, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014

RafixPhoenix macrumors regular

I have an aluminum bumper with cutout holes for the antenna. I've experienced no signal loss.

11. c0venant thread starter macrumors regular

thanks. I purchased the Spigen Neo Hybrid instead. Where I live I usually only get 2 to 3 signal bars at most, so I'm definitely not going to risk spending money on a case that could leave my phone useless.:)

12. Parkland macrumors newbie

I bought Airybody aero-alumium bumper, Signal, GPS, Wifi are OK!

13. crashnburn macrumors 6502

Which one? Where from? Picture + Link please?

Nice. Would love to see this one.

14. psychonaut, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014

psychonaut macrumors 6502a

This case is the real deal. Yeah, its a carbon of the Neo Hybrid by Spigen but still its pretty awesome.

I review tons of cases and to date the Neo Hybrid has been my favorite however this case has now replaced it.

I have all colors, tested it out, no signal loss, feels awesome in hand, weighs a little more than the neo hybrid, etc...

I will be doing a full video and written review over the weekend and giving some away too.

Any questions about it ask away...

Update info: In the pic above it shows some branding on the bumper that says Iron Shield, all the ones I have do NOT have that branding... the only branding is on the back that says Verus... not very big either.