Aluminum G4 17 1ghz won't power on

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by white6speedz28, Jun 4, 2008.

1. white6speedz28 macrumors newbie

I recently received a G4 Aluminum 17 inch 1ghz PB from a friend who could not fix it. TSA dropped it during a trip that his uncle took. The computer will not turn on. When i push the power button, there is not chime, fans, HDD spin, nothing. I am pretty sure that the battery is dead but I have tried powering it on with the battery in and out. The part of the AC adapter that plugs into the computer glows amber. I am not sure what the issues is. I have tried swapping out the two 512mb RAM pieces, replaced the hard drive and even pulled the optical drive. Nothing has achieved a response out of the machine. I am thinking that the logic board may be the culprit after it being dropped. I am not even sure if the screen is still in good condition due to the fact that the machine doesn't power on. I have tried the search function and searched all over google in order to find a solution but have come up empty handed.

Has anyone had similar issues?

Does anyone have any input?

Thanks in advance, this is my first post and first mac that I have worked with. I have been working with PCs for ~10 years.

Andrew

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

It sounds like your system board is damaged from the fall.

3. white6speedz28 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the reply. When you say system board are you speaking of the logic board? Like I said, I am used to PC specs such as motherboard. I am guessing that motherboard = logic board = system board but just figured it should ask before assuming.

Andrew

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Yep sounds like your Logic Board/System Board/Motherboard has copped it.

5. ddoonie macrumors regular

I have an ibook g4, and just today it stopped working wouldnt power on etc... I was advised on the apple board by someone to push on the palm rest to the left of the trackpad, and see if it boots up. Worked for me, and confirmed it was my logic board... Have no clue if that helps you, but thought i would throw it out there.

6. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

yeah the ibook problem is with the gpu losing contact due to heat and a design fault , but yours is logicboard , if you know a micro-board repair person they can find out where its cracked and resolder but it really is not going to be worth it financially.

7. white6speedz28 thread starter macrumors newbie

A thank you goes out to everyone who gave some sort of input. It looks like I'll have to save up and purchase a logicboard in the future.

Andrew

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Shouldn't TSA be held responsible for this damage?