Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your iMac a freezer?

• I own an AL iMac (Mid-2007) and my computer has never frozen.

Votes: 74 55.6%
  • I own an AL iMac (Mid-2007) and my computer has frozen 1 or more times.

Votes: 59 44.4%

• Total voters

nickf

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007
No freezes here since installing Leopard + 1.3.

Prior to this, it had frozen three times during some intense WoW sessions. Seems pretty fixed to me now.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
No more than the usual relative (compared to XP) instability encountered on all my Apple hardware. Finder is - as always - the main culprit. A couple of GSOD's as well.

Gerard.

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2007
Well, Mines has never actually frozen, but ive noticed on front row, when your watching a movie and you try to exit back with the menu button, it sticks for a few seconds before doing anything. Pretty annoying. Has anyone else got this issue (Only in movies btw)

fyrfli

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
I have a 24" Al iMac, 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM (apple). I have not installed any updates (1.1 OR 1.2).

My story? ...

This is my 2nd Apple computer (my first was a second-hand macbook - previous owner upgraded to a macbook pro). My PC was just giving me way too many problems and I got tired of building and rebuilding - it was like an endless march to PC parts stores to get replacement parts. I've built my own machines to one extent or another for the last 10 years. I just wanted a machine which I could use without having to do anything except sit in front of it.

My new iMac froze twice as described (all graphical activity halted, but sound and mouse still operational) within 2 days of coming out of the box. It was stable for at least a week, until I attempted to resize the window I had open with WoW in it... i.e. I play WoW in windowed mode and I "initiated" a "freeze" while trying to resize this window. It has not happened since (2 weeks later) yet I am reluctant to update it or to put Leopard on it (already in-hand and on the macbook).

I've been spending a lot of time on these forums and others reading other people's experiences yet I am still unable to properly classify my own issue. Do I have a freezer? (rhetorical btw). I have attempted to stress it with the suggested actions (iphoto, fast mouse scan of the dock) and haven't had a problem since the last time; although I haven't attempted to resize the WoW window since either, so I guess the jury is still out for me.

(Update: I had to come home and try the iTunes visualizer thing. I even opened up WoW and tried to resize the window. I'm on my 4th song in iTunes ...no freeze. Also noticed some people having issues with the screensaver ... my plays the screensaver everytime I get up from it .... no freezes then either. Could it be that the "settling in" that I've seen mentioned a few times has happened with me and I am now ok? (also rhetorical). I am watching it to see. Updates as they come.)

teiresias

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
Well, Mines has never actually frozen, but ive noticed on front row, when your watching a movie and you try to exit back with the menu button, it sticks for a few seconds before doing anything. Pretty annoying. Has anyone else got this issue (Only in movies btw)

I've noticed this, I think Leopard's Front Row is just glitchy with DVDs. Mine sometimes has issues even navigating DVD menus that have mpeg video blocks. I don't really use Front Row for DVDs ever though, so it's mainly academic.

I haven't had any freezing problems on my 24" iMac, but i haven't installed the 1.3 update on Leopard yet - still debating whether to do it, though I didn't experience freezing under of any Tiger's updates either.

Hawaiian Starman

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2001
Somerset West, South Africa
I have a 24" iMac with 3 GB of RAM.

When my computer freezes, it really freezes. No mouse, no sound (if I'm playing a file in iTunes, the music segment playing rapidly repeats). It seems the freezes occur when I have a number of applications open, especially video or processor intensive ones such as Starry Night Pro, Garage Band, Photoshop CS3, etc.

When I installed Leopard, I also installed the firmware "fix" for the freeze.

I have tried many things to pinpoint what is causing the freeze. The system and console logs are absolutely no help. I'm going to reinstall Leopard soon (as soon as SuperDuper is out in final form). I plan on erasing the HD, then bringing back my User Account etc. information once the Installation is complete.

AppleCare is absolutely no help re possible fixes.

Stay tuned. I'll post back when I do the reinstall (probably within a week).

JohanCruyff

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2007
Italy
I bought my iMac the day after 10.5.1 was released (before, freeze scared me to death).
Never had a freeze since november 16, 2007.

BTW, I can crash my iMac simply playing chess and chosing the "hysterical" voice.

Useless option, I must say. I can loose at chess even using one of the standard voices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.