Aluminum iMac sleep light...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by zackkmac, Jul 31, 2008.

1. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I've been seeing [by google] that a lot of people with the aluminum iMacs say that they don't have a sleep light. Well, I moved my 24" iMac to my bedstand and when I put it to sleep, I noticed a very dim pulsing light coming from the bottom right corner. Is that not the sleep light, or are my eyes just playing tricks on me? I could see it was making a shadow of the speaker grille so there has to be a light there. :confused:

Is there a way to make it brighter?

2. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Can you take a picture of it maybe or is it too dim?

3. zackkmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can try I guess but it may be too dim. Where I had my iMac sitting, I could see the light just barely, and I had to strain my eyes. But I can definitely see it -- I'll put it to sleep after this post and shut off the lights to be sure.

EDIT: There is a light there, it's definitely too dim for a picture. Maybe it's just some logic board light intended for something else? I would think that a sleep light would be a noticeably bright LED.

4. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Not sure, but I think I read somewhere before that that is merely the RAM. Some light pertaining to RAM remains on, but I don't believe you can make it brighter or pulse.

5. klmckenzie03 macrumors member

If you look through the speaker grille on the right hand side of the iMac there is a green LED that shines through from the logic board. I have a frosted glass desk and the reflection from this light can be seen if the room is pitch black. It is not very bright though so I don't think it would be a very good sleep indicator. One easy way for me to remember if I put my computer to sleep is whether or not my keyboard is on. I have an Apple wireless keyboard and anytime I put the computer to sleep I turn the keyboard off.

6. applemagic123 macrumors regular

applemagic123

Same exact thing on my iMac

I have an early 2009 iMac, 2.66Ghz, and today I noticed a dim light coming from the bottom right hand side of the iMac from the speaker grill. I never ever noticed it before.

7. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Perhaps that is the light indicating the self destruct sequence?:eek:

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

This thread is like a year old. Yes there's a green LED on the logic board.

9. applemagic123 macrumors regular

applemagic123

took a closer look

So I moved my iMac closer to the edge of the desk and tilted it all the way up so that I could really look at the underside. The lights are GREEN, and they seem to be coming from the logic board, and they DON'T pulse at all.

After taking a look at the tech's manual (I took AppleCare Technician Training, I have access to those manuals) I've learned that it is a diagnostic LED indicating that the AC power source is working properly and the light will stay on when the mac is on, sleeping, and shut down. It will go off when the plug is pulled from the wall OR if the mac's power supply is bad.

So there you have it.

10. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I realize this thread is years old, but in the five years I've owned this computer, tonight was the first time I noticed the light (and I've been sleeping with this computer within ten feet of my head ever since I've owned it.)

I don't feel like the descriptions others have been saying is quite right though... the light appears to be somewhere between a white and a blue, and it doesn't seem anywhere near as dim as others are describing it... if you tilt the chin of the iMac up, it's unmistakably there and coming out of the right side of the speaker grill.

I just upgraded my RAM today... possibly the new RAM has some kind of LED on it that the old one didn't and I didn't notice?