aluminum imac warranty

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jmpantalone, Jun 14, 2008.

1. jmpantalone macrumors newbie

does anyone know if removing the glass to clean the back side of the glass voids the machines warranty

2. chscag macrumors 65816

I don't believe there is any glass in the makeup of an iMac monitor... but why do you think the monitor needs cleaning? And yes, any disassembling of the monitor will void your warranty.

Regards.

3. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

The glass panel of the aluminum iMacs is simply held on by magnets as you probably know. Unless you leave some obvious evidence that you've removed it yourself I doubt very much that doing so would void your warranty.

That said, why would you want to do so? It's easy enough to get off but unless you are in a dust-controlled room don't be surprised to find particles between the LCD and glass once you've replaced it. They look like dead pixels that flash. :eek:

If there is dirt behind the glass it can only have gotten there at the assembly plant and you might want to let Apple clean it for you under warranty.

If you do try it yourself I recommend you close all the windows, turn off anything that blows air in your room for about 30 minutes and stick a damp towel under the doors before attempting to put the glass back.

When I first got my 24" iMac there was a dark smudge I noticed around the center of the display and I was sure it was just something on the rear side of the glass. I almost removed the glass to have a look rather than send it back to Apple since that was such a hassle. I just bit the bullet and sent it back to Apple. It turns out it was a defect of the LCD panel itself and they replaced it so I was glad I did.