Aluminum MacBook 4GB Memory Kit Search

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ibmman69, Oct 19, 2008.

1. ibmman69 macrumors member

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

This is an instance where Apple's price for 4GB is better. They only want $150 for (2) 2GB sticks for the Macbook.

3. applefriend2008 macrumors member

Yeah and plus, apple will do it for you nice and neatly.

Now i dont feel like an idiot for paying for the upgrade.

:)

4. gibbz macrumors 68030

Crucial and OWC.

Yes, the prices are nearly the same, but Apple's option is not really cheaper. If you get a MacBook with 4GB of RAM, you are essentially paying for the original 2GB plus an upgrade price. If you get the 4GB aftermarket RAM, you can sell the original RAM and reduce your out of pocket expense.

5. mobilehavoc macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

I picked up a Macbook 2.4 yesterday and had Apple upgrade to 4GB. Took 30 mins and cost $141 (8% EPP discount). Sure I could have done it cheaper but rather have them do it. Several Apple Store employees said upgrading your RAM yourself voids your warranty since it's not meant to be user accessible. Hard drive and battery is fine.

I'm sure it doesn't matter in the end but why bother. $141 for 4GB and install is damm good.

6. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

You could always buy the 4 GB kit from Newegg then sell the original 2 GB. That will put you below the Apple price.

7. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

The new Macbook manual gives you instructions on how to upgrade your RAM. I don't think Apple is going to provide you instructions on how to do something that is going to void your warranty.

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

yea, don't forget that if you do it with Apple, you don't get to keep the original 2GB. With 3rd parties, obviously you can do what you like with the spare 2GB.

OTOH, I guess there probably isn't much of a secondary market for it, as everyone's new MB already comes with it.

9. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

Yea no kidding.

Mobile, you got had.

10. mobilehavoc macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

Maybe the Apple store folks were clueless. They asked around a few people and they all said it voids your warranty. i didn't have access to the manual so i had no clue there were user instructions on changing it. At the end of the day I would still need to spend around $140 on the new 2x2GB DDR3 sticks - all I missed was any savings I would have gotten from selling the original 2x1GB DDR3 sticks which honestly I could care less about - but that's just me :)

11. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Good point, good links. Bought a lot of RAM in my PC days as well as for my 2.2GHz BMB, and from OWC (as well as hard drives) for my 2.4GHz BMB. BOTH as well as NewEgg are all reputable companies.Shop price and BUY WITH CONFIDENCE from all 3. Highly recommended!:apple::apple::apple:

12. Kendall015 macrumors regular

Some people found out that you can put 6gb of ram in the previous generation MacBook Pro and it would run great (1x2GB and 1x4GB sticks). Running 8GB (2x4GB) caused crashes and instability apparently.

I was personally going to hold off until the 4GB DDR3 module got cheaper, so I could do the 6GB of Ram trick, as I use VMs a lot...assuming it still works for this new chipset.

Original Source (I think)

13. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

I would love for someone to try this on a new MacBook. I am ordering 4GB and if this works, i will order a 4gb stick.

14. ibmman69 thread starter macrumors member

15. makowb macrumors member

It's a good deal to buy from apple for multiple reasons:

1. If anything goes wrong with the RAM, you just take it to an apple store and get it replaced, rather than waiting weeks for RMA.

2. Who in the hell is going to buy your 2gb of DDR3 RAM? Not only do most laptops not come with DDR3 RAM today, if they do, they come with 2, 3 or 4gb, not 1gb or less. Meaning the only market for your leftover RAM is for people who's RAM fails. If you don't believe me, check out the amount of reviews of 1gb or 2x1gb sticks of RAM at newegg.

3. If you can't sell it, you're just wasting RAM, being less environmentally friendly and piling up crap around your house.

The only reason I wouldn't upgrade now is because prices will surely drop within the next few months as DDR3 infiltrates the market more. But I want the performance upgrade now, so I'm going to buy it through apple.

16. ibmman69 thread starter macrumors member

OWC's price is now $132.49 shipped. This is the best price I've found so far.