Aluminum Macbook Accessories

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by txhockey9404, May 19, 2009.

1. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I am going to be the proud owner of a 2.4UMB come August, and would like to know in advance what accessories are worth looking into before purchasing the Macbook. I am moving, and would like to have the accessories while still at my current house so that there are no shipping discrepancies.

Here are my needs:
    A monitor (preferably Dell because I get a large discount)
    A case (either a shell or a sleeve, I have a backpack that it will be in as well)
    Possibly a keyboard (preferably wireless)

Here is what I have:
    A Logitech MX Revolution (for home use)
    Card Reader/iPod dock (Griffin Simplifi)
    Printer (HP Photosmart C4200--will probably be upgraded with the Apple rebate)
    3.5mm plug speakers
    2 Airport Extreme
    1 Airport Express
    1 750gb Desktop External HDD
    1 500gb Desktop External HDD

Here is what I am considering:
    Monitor--Dell SX2210 (I like the USB hub and webcam), Dell SX2209 (2210-webcam and hub)
    Case--Speck SeeThru Hard Shell Case, Incase Black Hardshell Case, Incase Black Neoprene Sleeve (I really like Incase products)
    Keyboard--Apple Bluetooth Keyboard or Logitech DiNovo Mac Keyboard (not Edge)

If you have ANY suggestions at all, whether I have listed them as things I want or not, let me know. Keep in mind that this computer will be used at home on a desk and at school in a lap or desk.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Sounds like you've pretty much nailed it. My advice for a case is to go to a store and touch and feel it before you buy it. I don't like the hard/shell cases for fear of scratching the computer underneath, but to each his own.

3. txhockey9404 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for that. I didn't know they scratched. I probably should have mentioned that this is my first laptop so I'm not 100% sure what I need.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

The aluminum might not be as prone to scratching (mine is white), but then, if it were really all that tough people wouldn't buy covers for them.

With my MacBook I keep a BT Mighty Mouse, power adapter, card reader, and neoprene sleeve. I don't use an external monitor since I use an iMac when I don't need the portability, but if you're using the MB as your main computer I would definitely recommend a monitor, mouse, and keyboard.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

sounds like you know what you want. Don't forget the aluminum mouse pad (macpadd) to compliment your Alu MB.

6. txhockey9404 thread starter macrumors 6502a

For the most part I do. Does anyone have experience with the sx2210? Does the webcam work? Also, how is the logitech dinovo mac edition? Is the incase sleeve protective enough?

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

The incase sleeve is mainly used so you can shove your MB in it and then stick it inside a messenger bag, backpack, whatever.

8. Aboo macrumors 6502a

The Macpadd is a good suggestion. I was about to buy one until I watched a review for it on you tube. Gliding the mouse over that thing is so noisy. Almost like the sound of finger nails scratching a blackboard *yikes*!! After hearing that, I was sold on not buying the Macpadd.

9. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

i agree but the reviewers say that you'll get used to that sound though.. :p

10. txhockey9404 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok! That sounds perfect for me! 99% of the time when it is going to be used, it will either be on my desk or lap, and 99% of the time when it is not in use, it will be in my backpack or on my desk.

That sounds cool, and I like the idea, but I really don't want to scrape up my $100 mouse.

If I have $25 left over, I may get one. They certainly look great, and I'll bet they last like none other.

So, I have my case picked out. I now just need some affirmation that the SX2210 is a good choice, and whether the Logitech diNovo is actually worth the money. I like the numeric keypad, but if the Apple is that much better, I'll pass on the Logitech. Also, is an extra power supply worth the money?