aluminum macbook brightness help??????

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by XxpikachuxX, Apr 13, 2009.

1. XxpikachuxX macrumors 6502

ok i have an aulminum macbook 2.0 if it helps but i have a question i have my macbook at full screen birghtness but aren't you suppose to get even more brighness like another leve when you connect the ac and my birghtness dosen't even move :( also i feel my macbook screen is not as birght as it used to be any way to make it birghter or may i have just get used to my macbook?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yes but it depends what your setting is. If you go to System Preferences>Energy Saver and click on the "Battery" tab, is the box "Slightly dim the display..." checked or unchecked? If it is checked, then when you connect the MagSafe, you will get that "extra" brightness if not then your brightness will be what the control is currently set as.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The following screenshot is from a MBP, but it should say the same.

[​IMG]

As you can see there is an option to dim the display if the battery is used. Maybe yours is not checked.

As for getting more brightness, you could change the Gamma in your display profile, but that would lead to a worse calibration.

I don't know about the LED MacBooks, but the LED MBPs displays burn like hell if set to maximum brightness in a dark environment.

4. XxpikachuxX thread starter macrumors 6502

:( i dont get the extra birghtness when i connect my ac first i unplugged the ac then i set it up to the higgest brightness then i connected to the ac again i still dont get it :( for some readon my screen isn't as bright as it used to be i about last thursday

5. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I don't mean to seem rude, as I do want to help you, but I cannot understand what you're trying to convey.

Are you saying that once you unplug the AC the screen dims? Then, when you plug it back in, the brightness doesn't increase?

6. XxpikachuxX thread starter macrumors 6502

no im saying i dont get the extra brightness you are suppose to get when you connect your macbook to the ac like another level of brightness

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You already said that, but did you do what iLog and me suggested?

8. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

I think that he thinks that you are supposed to get another notch of brightness (above the 16th one when you are using your keyboard to adjust it) when you plug your macbook into ac. This isn't true. You can push it up to max brightness on battery.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Even when the "slightly dim ..." option is checked/enabled?

I get more brightness when I'm plugged into the AC adapter and have "slightly dim ..." enabled. But I'm on a Unibody MBP, so maybe that differs now.

10. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

When I have slightly dim checked, all it does is put the brightness down to about half on battery. However, you can push it back up to max with the keyboard or sys prefs.

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Ah, I see. I never noticed it. Maybe some time ago, but I have already forgotten about it.

That clears things up and should also help the OP.

12. Stetrain macrumors 68040

That 'extra level of brightness' won't go past the actual max screen brightness.

If you're on battery and have your screen at anything much lower than full brightness, you'll see a brightness jump when you plug it in.

If you're already at full brightness when you plug it in you won't see anything because your screen is already at its true maximum brightness. There's no magic or trickery involved. :)

13. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That's what I think OP is getting confused. I think he believed that there was because the brightness was already high and when he unplugged the MagSafe, it automatically adjusted the display for him and when he connected it again, it went back up. There is no other option than what you can control.

14. XxpikachuxX thread starter macrumors 6502

oh alright it seems that only work on the white old macbooks not on the new ones yeah but it seems like my brightness is tno as much as it used to be maybe i just got used to the birghtness

15. bradenwh macrumors 6502

Bottom line that is not understood, apparently:

The highest notch of brightness is the highest notch of brightness. It cannot go higher than that. If you are running on battery, and you adjust the brightness to the highest notch, then plug up the MagSafe, it will not get brighter, because it is already at the highest setting.
    If it is not at the highest setting and you plug it in, it will raise the brightness.

There isn't a "special" extra notch of brightness for running off of AC. The highest notch is as high as it'll go.

16. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Thank you.