Aluminum Macbook cannot shut down

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dq9, Mar 25, 2009.

1. dq9 macrumors newbie

My Aluminum Macbook (Late 2008) won't shut down unless I hold down the power button or shut down from the login screen. I've tried to repair my disk, disk permissions, uninstalling some applications, scanning for viruses, resetting the PRAM, and leaving the battery out over night.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

2. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

3. dq9 thread starter macrumors newbie

No errors. My mac just sits there as if I never hit shut down.

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Are you running any applications when you attempt to shut down? Lots of time if there are certain apps running when you shut down they will cancel the shut down. Make sure everything is closed first. Also as a last resort you could try reinstalling the os

5. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Have you tried booting up in Safe Boot (hold the shift key while booting) and see if you can shut down from there. If you can shut down from Safe Boot, it probably means you have something installed that messed something up, most likely freeware. Don't worry if you are stuck booting up with the shift key held down for longer than usual, Safe Boot takes longer than a regular boot.

David

6. dq9 thread starter macrumors newbie

No applications are running where I can see them from the dock. I'll try shutting things down from the Activity Monitor.

I tried shutting down via Safe Boot and I got the same deal. Nothing happened when I hit shut down. I have been shutting down through the login screen (Don't know if I mentioned that yet)

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Have you reinstalled OS X Leopard to see if that makes a difference?

8. dq9 thread starter macrumors newbie

No that's my last resort. I don't feel like losing all my data and I don't have enough free space for an archive and install. I also don't have space for all my data anywhere else.

9. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

What happens if you tap the power button, and hit shut down from there? If that doesn't work, try force quitting everything and trying that.

10. dq9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing happens when I hit the power button. I think whatever file in the System folder that deals with shutting down might be corrupted.

11. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

You could store the data on a data disc if you haven't thought of that. One time I needed to to an archive and install and I didn't have any space so I put all the files I needed on my jailbroken iPhone and iPod. It took a little while to put everything on but it worked. You might find this guide helpful.

David

12. dq9 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it might be one of my applications causing this. An archive and install might be a waste of my time. This was happening with my last computer and when I got the Aluminum MacBook the problem was carried over when I ported my applications through migration assistant.

13. dq9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright so I played around with some stuff on my computer and figured out that it's not that I can't shut down. It's that I can't logout. So I tried making a new username, all three different types, and it wouldn't log out with there either. I think that something in either my Applications, System, or Library (the one in the root of the Macintosh HD) is corrupted.

Any ideas on what to do next?