Aluminum Macbook clicking sounds

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by thefeverr, Oct 7, 2009.

1. thefeverr macrumors newbie

okay, so I bought this computer (Macbook Aluminum 2.4 GHz - currently running Snow Leopard) last October - my warranty ends Oct. 16th. Anyways, I put a disc in the drive earlier today, and the computer took it right away. That was unusual because half the time it doesn't wanna take the disc (someone at the genius bar assured me all of these aluminum macbooks are this way). So continuing with my story, I took the disc out when I was done and I heard slight clicking noises coming from the side where you put discs in. I closed the computer because I thought it would stop it, reopened it, and it was still doing it. So then I restarted it, and I didn't hear it. Now I'm hearing it every so often.

Now perhaps I am being paranoid because I've invested over $2000, had my entire screen replaced, and had three different magsafe adapters. I've read it could be a failing hard drive (and with my luck, I'm sure it is), but I thought I'd ask anyways. Either way, I'll probably take it in tomorrow. It just seems really ridiculous to me that I've had so many problems on a computer that costs me so much, and I know I'm going to have to drop $250 more on it for the extended warranty. I'm extremely gentle with this machine, and I treat it like a baby. I'm done ranting now. haha

Anyways, I would really appreciate anyone's suggestions.

2. firewater macrumors regular

take the mac in for service its not worth losing sleep over it.:)

3. Tharian macrumors regular

Sorry to hear about the problems. I've had my 2.4 since November 3rd and not had a single problem. I am defiantly getting Applecare since I'll have this for at least another year. Look at it this way, even if you sell it, you can command a higher price due to the warranty it'll be under!

-d

4. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

In my experience, slot-loading drives are unreliable the majority of the time. If you think the clicking sounds are annoying, make sure you don't try to move the computer while a disc is being burned, that sound will make you want to cry.

5. thefeverr thread starter macrumors newbie

okay so instead of making an entire new thread about this I'm just going to do it here.

I got my harddrive replaced, even though the person at the Apple Store didn't hear the clicking. I thought it was fine and dandy when I first got it back, but now it feels like it's constantly running...on the bottom left side where the harddrive is. There's a constant vibration there. Is this normal or am I being crazy? I have AppleCare now too, so yeah.