Aluminum Macbook cooling solution(s)?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SeanTheGeek, Apr 10, 2009.

1. SeanTheGeek macrumors newbie

I have a new macbook and have plenty of problems with it:

can get above 80 degrees C, even on basic games (Idles at 50)
    -Screen flicker
    -Gap in seal in upper-left of screen
    - Blue line on right side of screen when playing DVD in full screen
    - Hi pitch noise at times
    -Network problems? Sometimes slower than the rest of the network, pages time out, etc

It tends to get hot when running any type of graphical application causes it to heat up. I realize that the macbook is an entry level laptop, but ive seen PCs with worse specs handle heat better! I think I have a bad machine, so I'm going to the local Apple Store to get it fixed/replaced.I know all mac laptops are notorious for heat issues, so I need to find to protect my macbook after it gets fixed/replaced. I That said, I am aware that a cooling pad should be used with any laptop, but I don't know which one would be best for my situation. I don't want a cheap pad, just something that can get te job done. Noise doesn't bother me much, unless it sounds like a blinder.

I would also like to try an app that safely undervolts the CPU/adjusts the fans. However, I have yet to find one that works with the new macbbook. Does anyone know of one? I would prefer an app that automatically adjusts these settings, or has presets, as I wound have no clue what to set values to. I would like to use that in combination with a cooling pad.

The main reason I purchased my mac was for the software (OS X and 3rd Party apps). Here the apps that I must have working to make a mac worth my while:

-MacSpeech Dictate

-Screenflow

Has anyone used these apps with the macbook? If so, did they preform well? Judging by the macbooks specs, there should not be any problem, but the heat issue has me concerned...

There are other apps that are less important to me, but they be fun if I could get them to work without cooking m mac:

-CamTwist (Runs fine until I start streaming, then quickly heats the CPU)

-Bonix TV (Causes tons of heat, I suspect I would need a macbook pro for this.)

Any advice would be helpful. Sorry for the long post, I wanted to be as detailed as possible.

-Sean

2. windels macrumors regular

windels

one word : smcFanControl.

it shows the temperature of your Cpu
    it shows the RPM of your fans
    you can adjust fanspeed easily
    it lets you set presets
    and it can boot with leopard so it automaticly goes to the rpm you want at startup

3. windels macrumors regular

windels

can get above 80 degrees C, even on basic games (Idles at 50) => normal

the rest:

-Screen flicker
    -Gap in seal in upper-left of screen
    - Blue line on right side of screen when playing DVD in full screen
    - Hi pitch noise at times
    -Network problems? Sometimes slower than the rest of the network, pages time out, etc

realy not normal! maybe call apple?

4. sosaysiburke macrumors member

sosaysiburke

that sounds messed up mine really doesnt get over 80 normally when it starts fans kick in and drop it quickly but i have heard the screen making a noise only in vista though wierd problem