Aluminum Macbook freezing

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ThisIsBoris, May 11, 2009.

1. ThisIsBoris macrumors newbie

Hi everybody,

I got my Macbook in January and for about 3 months it worked fine. Then it started freezing. When it freezes, I can't force quit out of any application, the only thing that works is a hard reset.

Tried repairing permissions, resetting RAM, finally took it to the Apple store. They kept it for a while, replaced the logic board and the airport card, mentioned something about a possible short. I spoke to a tech who said they've passed it around to three different people who couldn't figure out what's wrong with it.

Finally got it back on Friday, and while at the store, could not run Safari at all. It would hang with the beach ball spinning. We had to delete my user profile and create a new one. That seemed to work.

However, since then, it froze 3 times over the weekend. I am taking it back to the Apple store tomorrow, but is there someone I should talk to meanwhile? Call the store or Apple tech support? Should I ask them to just replace my computer?

Side question: I am in NYC. Should I take it to Tekserve instead of Apple? Even if I have already had it repaired at the Apple store?

Thanks!
    Boris

By the way, there is no consistent behavior when the freezes occur. Most of the time I am checking email or something internet related, but it has also happened when only iTunes is running and right after startup.

2. Nistilian macrumors newbie

Take it back to the Apple Store. If they try to repair the same thing 3x and fail, they usually replace the whole item.

3. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Agree, that's the best way to go, even if you might have to put up with the headache of it going wrong twice more before they accept to replace it.

Though sometimes, if you ask them real nice, you'll get a replacement machine earlier. I got a replacement MBP a year ago after bringing mine in for the first time because it was experiencing troubles. They didn't ask, just took it back, and gave me a new one to go home with. Though I have to mention that I'd only had my first one for three days or so.

4. ThisIsBoris thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

I figured that was the way to go. I am just worried that they are going to keep it for a long time again. Last time was 11 days, and it's hard to be without a computer that long.