Aluminum Macbook Hinge hairline cracks........

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by John01021988, Jul 4, 2009.

1. John01021988 macrumors 6502

Yep..... Just when I thought I finally ran away from my old white macbook hairline cracks, I noticed today that 3 small cracks have appeared in the black plastic hinge screen part, just below where it says "Macbook". I think it might be caused by the heat exhaust. Any Comments?

Pics will be posted later.....

2. vilim12 macrumors regular

I just checked mine, no cracks here. Post up some pics

3. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

That's weird, because I have been using my unibody macbook for 8 months now and i don't have any crack, i don't baby it, i don't take care of it, I'm not gentle with it and it doesn't have a single crack.

Only protection i use to carry it around is a tucano second skin sleeve.

Can't wait to see your pics, maybe visit an applestore and see if you can get it fixed under warranty.

4. John01021988 thread starter macrumors 6502

You gotta zoom to see them below where it says Macbook

Attached Files:

5. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Yeah man, I see it. Wouldn't bother me too much, although it shouldn't happen and you could probably get that fixed. I don't see how a consumer could cause that through rough handling.

6. firewater macrumors regular

Man that really sucks if Apple doesn't cover it. I would take it to apple and have them fix thats **** for free:)...Good luck with that.

7. John01021988 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah Ill take it to the store and see if I can get it fixed. Does anyone knows if that part is separate from the screen or you will have to swap the whole screen casing to replace the hinge?

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I believe it's a separate part, apart from the screen.

9. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

Just noticed today that I have a bunch of these hairline cracks on my MBP as well. They must have been there for awhile now and the light caught them just right today for me to notice. Kind of annoying and I have a feeling the Genius Bar isn't going to do anything but I'm gonna make an appt and see what they say.

I treat my MBP very well so it's a little disappointing to see something like this. I don't know what I could have done to cause the cracks either. :confused:

10. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Oh no i thought we had got away from cracking macbooks! From the pic posted you can see them clearly. The hinge is separate from the screen though i believe so it should be able to be swapped out.

11. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

I made a Genius appt for tomorrow. Here are pics of my MBP. There are cracks on the underside too.

Attached Files:

12. djvic87 macrumors regular

I wish I searched this post before I made one about it. Sorry guys. I'm also having the same problem and I'm bugged out with a huge hair line (now that I know how it's called) under my umbp logo. I also have numerous hair crack lines all over the plastic hinge. Please keep us posted with the appt results.

13. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

Well, got back from my Genius Bar appt today. Good news. They're going to get it taken care of. The only bad part is that they'll have to check my mac in and it's gonna take a couple days (up to 5 possibly) to get it fixed.

At first they thought it was just a part that could be replaced. Turns out that the underside black piece is not replaceable. The only way to replace that piece is to replace the whole display. So, they're ordering a whole new display for me which will take a couple of days to get. Then I have to take my mac in for them to do the work.

Just glad there were no hassles about getting it replaced. The guy showed it to a bunch of the others behind the bar and everyone said they hadn't seen anything like it yet. Well, one guy said he saw a MBP with cracks under the logo but not on the underside.

14. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Those look like scratches on the bezel, looks horrid. How long have u had your book?

15. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

Haven't had it that long at all. They look like scratches but they're definitely not. I keep my mac in pristine condition. The guy thought it had something to do with the heat of the MBP causing the cracks.

16. firewater macrumors regular

let that baby breath n cool down before putting it away:)

17. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

I am both happy that you got such great service at the Genius Bar and that I am crack-free in '93.

18. djvic87 macrumors regular

I called apple today to explain this problem with the hinge on my umbp and the guy told me it is totally unheard of. He also told me that I would have to go to the Apple store to have it inspected to make sure that "it wasn't accidental damage". I briefly explained that it wasn't and he told me I could either take it to the store or send my pro in a box. I also told them that whenever I close the lid, and touch the back of the hinge, it feels as if it is popping off.

But here is the thing... My major fear is let's say for example, if I send my mac on a box, and if they decided to change the whole screen/lid, that they 'll replace it with a refurbished screen instead of a brand new one.

19. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a