Aluminum MacBook Invisible Shield

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by chisoxbull, Oct 30, 2008.

1. chisoxbull macrumors member

I recieved my new invisible shield for my aluminum MacBook and there are lots of pieces. Has anyone recieved theirs that can help me identify the pieces?

Thank you,
    Corey

2. Roller macrumors 68020

Haven't received mine yet, but from the pic on their Web site I'd expect:

• Two main pieces for the bottom (one's for the battery cover)
    • Maybe a small piece for the latch
    • One piece for the top
    • One piece for the wrist rest
    • One piece for the trackpad

Should be easy to match them up. How many pieces do you have?

3. tiartrop macrumors regular

They don't include instructions with it?

Btw, can you post pictures once you've applied them? I'm interested in getting one, so I'd appreciate pictures. Thanks heaps!

4. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

A friend of mine has a shield on his iPhone. I have never seen a rattier, dandruff/crumb/grease/lint covered object in my life. And yellowish to boot. If you goal is to make sure no one ever wants to borrow your computer, a shield is the ticket.

6. chisoxbull thread starter macrumors member

Hey, Ill post some pictures tonight or tomorrow of it. Also, they do no include instructions, but I do think I figured out every piece. They have provided much more coverage to this then previous items.

Corey

7. Roller macrumors 68020

I posted the following in another thread on skins last night, but thought I'd copy it here for convenience:

My experience so far:

I set up a large, clean, well-lighted area for installation. Good lighting is essential to see bubbles under the plastic.

As recommended in the instructions, I began with the top piece. Despite using a liberal amount of the wetting solution, I found that this stuff sticks to everything. I had to do a lot of re-positioning to get it right. The most problematic part was the corners and edges. In some locations, the shield partly wrapped around the "lip" around the perimeter of the lid; in other places, it didn't. I'm skeptical that it's not going to lift up and fray in these spots.

Next, I did the bottom, which comes in two parts. Those went on more easily, probably because it's simpler to manipulate smaller pieces of plastic without folding or stretching them. I'm also especially interested in protecting the bottom, which scratched and scuffed the most on my previous laptop.

The single piece that covers the wrist rest and wraps around the keyboard was the most problematic. It was a bear to handle because the side pieces are so narrow—as soon as I got one part right, another moved out of place.

After playing around for 15 minutes, I couldn't get the strip at the top of the trackpad to adhere without folds. Also, the piece is intended to partially cover the "well" that surrounds the keyboard. That's a design flaw, IMO - there's no way to get this to look good, since there's no edge to align with.

Finally, after realizing that it just wasn't in the cards, I gave up on this piece and simply applied the one that goes on the trackpad.

My MB is now sitting on a desk to let the plastic "set up," as suggested. At this point, the top looks uneven, mostly because there are many very small bubbles that contain air and/or wetting solution. No matter how many times I try, I can't get rid of them. The instructions say that they'll work themselves out after 2-3 days, which seems plausible if there are no dust particles.

I'll post my final impressions and perhaps some pics when I think that it's done.

Update at 24 hours: There are a lot (maybe 30 or so) small spots on the top. Depending on how the light hits it, they appear darker or lighter than their surroundings. As above, I don't know if they'll disappear over time.

8. chisoxbull thread starter macrumors member

I also have many small bubbles on the top. I am hoping they will cure in the next 48-72 hours as they usually do.

Corey

9. LFC.SL macrumors member

It was a pain to apply a screen protector on my PSP and (now sold) DS Lite

I cannot even imagine the pain of applying protectors on an entire notebook! :p

10. Roller macrumors 68020

Any bubble with a speck of dust in it won't disappear completely, but I'm hoping that most of my bubbles don't.

How did you do with the piece that goes on the wrist rest and wraps around the keyboard? I gave up on mine.

11. chisoxbull thread starter macrumors member

All of the bubbles are from just air/water and not dust. I always do it in a bathroom after running hot water and steaming the air to get rid of the dust.

As for the wrist rest and keyboard piece, i have to say that was almost impossible. I actually talked to zagg and they were great about it. They are actually UPS'ing me out a new one to fix the wrist/keyboard area. My piece seemed like it was cut slightly jagged and hangs over a small portion of the side. It looks great as it is drying, but I still have that piece hanging over the side, which will be fixed by removing and putting the new one on. The trackpad still has a few bubbles and hopefully those will go away. One trick I have learned with large pieces is to put all of the solution in a large bowl and add extra water then dip the pieces in. This will help prevent the pieces from sticking and will allow them to be moved more on the unit.

Look for Ms. Zagg on here in these forums and she will be great in helping you. I still am wondering what the two extra pieces I have are that look like large trackpad pieces, but are not. Do you have any idea what they are for? I have noticed a significant reduction in bubbles even since this am.

Hope all is well,
    Corey

12. chisoxbull thread starter macrumors member

I have added some pictures here.

Corey

Attached Files:

13. tongteh macrumors 6502

i have bodyguardz protection for my macbook.. just to let you all aware that after applying these sort of protection, your macbook tends to be hotter than before.. the plastic elements traps the heat from dispersing, and for your information; the thicker the plastic, the harder the heat disperses.

some pictures:

Attached Files:

14. Roller macrumors 68020

Makes sense, although none of my bathrooms have a large enough work area. I don't know if any of my bubbles have dust particles in them. But my home isn't any dustier than most.

Good luck with the wrist rest/keyboard piece! When I was struggling with it, I'd get one part aligned, only to move another part out of alignment. I really don't see why this piece needs to dip down into the keyboard well. For that matter, I'd rather not have the strips that go alongside the keyboard at all.

That's a great idea. The more fluid you use, the easier it is to move the pieces after applying them to the laptop without stretching them. I don't care if that means having to take extra time to squeegee the fluid out or let it all dry. I wish I knew about this a couple of days ago. :)

I'll do that, thanks.

No clue. None of them seem to fit any area on the MB.

I haven't. I'll post some pics soon. Thanks.

15. Roller macrumors 68020

Here are three pics that illustrate the problems I'm having:

1. It's not clear to me whether the shield is supposed to wrap around the vertical lip at the edge of the computer. I certainly wasn't able to get it to go on uniformly or adhere completely. The corners were especially problematic, since the material wrinkled as it went around the curve, and pressure with my palm didn't help.

2. As you can see from the shot of the bottom piece, I still have many bubbles (now 36 hours after application).

Attached Files:

16. chisoxbull thread starter macrumors member

I found something that seemed to really help with the bubbles. Spray a paper towel generously with a solution like windex or spray the area with the spots lightly. Then take the squeegee and rub with a bit of effort, not to hard over the small spots. This has helped most of mine go away. As for the overlaps, I have found that happens when not using enough solution. I would talk to Ms. Zagg on here and see what she can do. They are very helpful.

Corey

17. Roller macrumors 68020

I emailed Ms. Zagg a while ago and I'll see what she/they are willing to do. At this point, I think that it's too late to remove and re-apply my shield, which may now be stretched in places. The best remedy would be to put on a new shield taking all your tips into account, so I'll see what happens.

Thanks!

18. mathieuheartmac macrumors member

Are these shields removable?

I would hope so. I don't see a point in using them if they are not.

19. Roller macrumors 68020

Your BodyGuardz installation looks great. Did you have any bubbles or other problems?

20. Roller macrumors 68020

Yes, they are. The back shields all have holes for the screws, so it's possible to service the MB without removing the shield. I'd probably remove the shield before sending to Apple, though.

21. mathieuheartmac macrumors member

Oh. It still sort of seems like you are sacrificing looks for protection, and only protection from scratches. Does it leave some sort of sticky goo behind if removed? And once you remove them, can you use them again?

I have no experience with these shields aside from these photos, but is this just sort of a gimmick- or are they really worth it?

22. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

They are worthless. Stop using cases people. If it gets scratched who cares? If it is scratched, it means you used it, not babied it. Get over this OCD stage.

23. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

I agree.

The bubbles look horrible. The overhang of the shield and wrinkles on the macbook above look horrible. And the fact that you have shiny plastic on your brand new MB just looks plain wrong...

Leave the shiny plastic for grandma's couch ;)

24. Roller macrumors 68020

Agree about the bubbles and overhang - they're not supposed to be there. If I can't get rid of them, I'll remove or replace the skin.

Personally, I'd rather have a clear skin on my MB than scuffs and scratches, but that's my choice.